• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Garage door vents & attic fan

Lipets

my neighbor cut in a few vents in bottom of his garage door then keeps the attic access open running an attic exhaust fan
I thought that was fire code issue acting like draft to add oxygen to a fire and cause more damage to house.

Attached garage? I would assume if attic access hatch in garage then there is a wall between garage attic and house, covered with 1/2" (min) gwb. Essentially garage and it's attic is separated from the house through to roof. That is what I interpret code to require.

I can't see anything not to code in the low vent and high exhaust fan.

Well, I thought that was required. Maybe there is a way around that. Is garage ceiling 5/8 drywall? If so, I thought the hatch would not be allowed.

As best as I can tell from information presented, both your house and your neighbors house do not comply with code because ther is not a layer of drywall on the garage side of the the wall (or wall and garage ceiling) between them, ground to roof. At least the hatch compromises that little bit of protection.

If a fire started in their garage, it's going to find oxygen with or without the vents and fans. Maybe they would speed up growth a teeny bit, but they also might keep garage tenable for a minute or two longer. I don't to think they would be make much difference.

Now, if he's barbecuing in his garage or deep frying a turkey - a classic every Thanksgiving - watch out.

It depends on the way code was interpreted when the house was built. There has been a typical requirement for 5/8" type X drywall on the garage side of the wall between the house and garage. That separation was supposed to extend through the attic to the roof sheathing. However, the lid in a garage could be covered with 5/8" type X along with the walls that support the lid and achieve the same result as a separation extending through the attic.

Some jurisdictions would not allow an access through a protected lid. Other jurisdictions would allow an access as long as it was 5/8" type X drywall.

Code has changed and the wall between the house/attic and garage now requires 1/2 drywall.

IMG_3779.JPG

Last edited: