• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

garage fire barrier

pagantom

GREENHORN
my garage is separated from the basement (finished) by a cinder block wall that is covered with 1/2 drywall on 2x4s. it's a narrow garage, so removing the drywall and studs will provide much-welcome extra width. The only reason i can see that the 2x4 wall is there is to provide a place to install electrical junction boxes for switches and outlets. i would move the electrical to surface mounted metal conduit and junction boxes. Unless cinder block is not considered fire resistant?

The required separation between the garage and the dwelling unit as shown in Table R302.6 is "Not less than 1/2-inch gypsum board or equivalent applied to the garage side." It doesn't even require Type X gypsum board, just 1/2-inch gypsum board.

How old is your house? Is the wall behind the sheetrock really "cinder" block, or is it actually concrete block? Since the residential code allows for 1/2-inch gypsum board "or equivalent," you need to document that the CMU wall provides fire resistance equivalent to 1/2 inch of generic gypsum board. To do that, I would normally start looking at the equivalent fire-resistance ratings for archaic building materials in Resource A of the IEBC. Unfortunately for you, Pennsylvania didn't adopt Resource A when they adopted the IEBC, but you could still use it as a basis to request approval as an individual modification.

Since 1/2" gypsum board only gives you 15 minutes of fire protection on a wood stud wall, removing it from a masonry block wall should not be a problem
1716906270665.png

1716906198201.png