• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Garage Floor coating - epoxy paint ?

ameliasolis

Hello all.

OK, I need a cram course on what to put on the garage floor of a new house. the cement will be about 4-5 months old if that matters, and it will be in Florida.

The homebuilder says the epoxy floor is $3.50 Sq. Ft.. I don't know the process, but it has that confetti stuff on the tops. Since the garage is about 32 x 26 feet, the estimate is more than $2800 !!!

I don't have a budget for that. If I do this myself, is this a multiple-layer coating? How long does it take to dry, and does it really? I don't want to breathe that stuff for a week. Also,

my wife has asthma and couldn't handle the fumes.

I don't know what I'm talking about....if you can't tell hahaha hahaha

A fluorosilicate sealer-hardener should be adequate for a garage. They are generally water-based so fumes shouldn't be an issue. They should be available at building supply stores.

Floors like that are normally a 3 step process at the very least. You put down the initial coat which is very slow drying and sprinkle the colored flakes on top of that so that it's 3 steps. Then after that dries thoroughly you put on the topcoat, many times you will need to use multiple topcoats in order to get a smooth finish. It's certainly not easy and needs to be done correctly to get it to look good.