• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Gas company did not allow un-vented

aarothepharo

I helped my cousin put a 30,000 BTU natural gas wall mount heater in the living room. It was a direct vent / un-vented heater. When the gas company came to inspect they would not turn the gas on saying it had to be a vented heater. North Carolina allows un-vented heaters so I poured though the fuel gas code and I cannot find any reason the house would require a vented heater.

Any ideas?

Aaron

I wish I was into heaters

What is a direct vent/ in vented heater

I have an idea

Can you post a link to the actual model.

It may be thier company policy

Do you have a link to them to post

Somebody better weigh in soon.....this person may not be with us for long.

This is 2009.

and same in the 2012

501.8 Equipment not required to be vented.
The following listed appliances shall not be required to be vented.
1. Ranges.
2. Built-in domestic cooking units listed and marked for optional venting.
3. Hot plates and laundry stoves.
4. Type 1 clothes dryers (Type 1 clothes dryers shall be exhausted in accordance with the requirements of Section 613).
5. A single booster-type automatic instantaneous water heater, where designed and used solely for the sanitizing rinse requirements of a dishwashing machine, provided that the heater is installed in a commercial kitchen having a mechanical exhaust system. Where installed in this manner, the draft hood, if required, shall be in place and unaltered and the draft hood outlet shall be not less than 36 inches (914 mm) vertically and 6 inches (152 mm) horizontally from any surface other than the heater.
6. Refrigerators.
7. Counter appliances.

8. Room heaters listed for unvented use.

9. Direct-fired make-up air heaters.
10. Other equipment listed for unvented use and not provided with flue collars.
11. Specialized equipment of limited input such as laboratory burners and gas lights. Where the appliances and equipment listed in Items 5 through 11 above are installed so that the aggregate input rating exceeds 20 British thermal units (Btu) per hour per cubic feet (207 watts per m3) of volume of the room or space in which such appliances and equipment are installed, one or more shall be provided with venting systems or other approved means for conveying the vent gases to the outdoor atmosphere so that the aggregate input rating of the remaining unvented appliances and equipment does not exceed the 20 Btu per hour per cubic foot (207 watts per m3) figure. Where the room or space in which the equipment is installed is directly connected to an-other room or space by a doorway, archway, or other opening of comparable size that cannot be closed, the volume of such adjacent room or space shall be permitted to be included in the calculations.

https://www.ncdoi.com/OSFM/Engineer...ingCode_amendments/approved/2009NCFuelGas.pdf

Last edited:
What does state law say about authority of gas company vs building regulations?

A direct vent wall furnace is a vented appliance. Trust the Gas Company.