• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Gas Pipe Routed through AC Air Supply register

frankg813

Hi,

I was hoping to get some help with my problem. I am trying to sell my house and got a home inspection done. The inspector told me that there was a gas pipeline that exists in the AC closet that supplies gas for the furnace when switched to furnace mode. The pipe then goes to the space right below the AC closet right through the space that is used to suck in air from the register in the wall. The inspector told me this was not allowed. Is this true? If so, I'm trying to figure out what we can do about this. Re-routing the pipe would be expensive. I was thinking that since the pipe is against the right edge of this space that we could encase it somehow and provide isolation between the pipe and air supply space. I read somewhere that none of the pipe should be fully encased because if the line ruptures it would prevent detection by smell...so I would create a small vent that goes to the edge of the supply air space. This hole would go to the closet that contains the electric water heater. Would this make it compliant? Any help much appreciated.

welcome

Was the inspector ,,, the buyers home inspector???

I am not a plumber,,,,

But at some point the pipe will be enclosed/ concealed.

So to make said inspector happy,,,, enclose it completely.

If this is not a city inspector, call the city inspector, do not id or give your address,,, And just ask the general question.

Negotiate. Agree to fix some other problem and leave this as-is. Drop the price $300. Tell the buyer its annas-is sale, and you have 3 other buyers waiting to make an offer.

welcome

Was the inspector ,,, the buyers home inspector???

I am not a plumber,,,,

But at some point the pipe will be enclosed/ concealed.

So to make said inspector happy,,,, enclose it completely.

If this is not a city inspector, call the city inspector, do not id or give your address,,, And just ask the general question.
The buyers home inspector to answer your first question. What would be the cheapest way to enclose it? Does it have to be fireproof? Sheetrock. ?

If there is a gas leak,,, there is a gas leak.

Could happen anywhere along the piping and into the unit.

I would not have an issue with a steel pipe in a return air plenum. Someone may come up with a code that disallows this ….. but not me.

you mean this???

G2415.3 (404.3) Prohibited Locations

Piping shall not be installed in or through a ducted supply, return or exhaust, or a clothes chute, chimney or gas vent, dumbwaiter or elevator shaft. Piping installed downstream of the point of delivery shall not extend through any townhouse unit other than the unit served by such piping.

If that section applies,,, can it be enclosed, sealed so it is out of the return air??!

you mean this???

The way i read the original description, the pipe is is the return air plenum, where there is a large grille in the wall for room air to go back to the unit. That doesnt sound like a ducted return to me.

you mean this???

Piping shall not be installed in or through a ducted supply, return or exhaust, or a clothes chute, chimney or gas vent, dumbwaiter or elevator shaft. Piping installed downstream of the point of delivery shall not extend through any townhouse unit other than the unit served by such piping.
Ya I knew it was almost possible. California did not adopt the plumbing or mechanical portions of the IRC. The CPC doesn’t say “ducted supply, return or exhaust”. The CPC says “air duct”. The CPC goes on to permit gas pipe in a plenum that is created by a hard lid and a dropped ceiling.

In either case, a duct is not a plenum and no code that I have found prohibits steel pipe in plenums. The reason for not allowing gas pipe in an air duct yet it’s ok in a plenum escapes me. I have a guess.

Last edited:
You can’t tell your Ducks without a definition

DUCT SYSTEM. A continuous passageway for the transmission of air that, in addition to ducts, includes duct fittings, dampers, plenums, fans and accessory air-handling equipment and appliances

PLENUM. A chamber that forms part of an air-circulation system other than the occupied space being conditioned

$ ~ $

frankg813,

Contact your Building Codes office and ask for assistance.
Mention Section G2415.3 and get their input.......Ask them

what is required, that you can comply with.

$ ~ $