• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Gas regulator vent limiting device

Jeff_MN

The 2006 IFGC we use section 410.3 states vent limiters can be used in lieu of piping to the outside. My question is do you allow these in small closet type spaces say around 15 to 20 sq ft rooms. These rooms may even have gasketed entry doors. My concern is even though it is a limiting device the potential for gas build-up in these small rooms is questionable. I understand the use of these in open basements and larger mechanical rooms where there is at least some ventilation. I researched makers like Maxitrol for specific information, but they have very limited (no pun intended) information available regarding specifics for there limiting devices.

Look for ANSI standard Z21.18 The standard limits the volume of gas that a vent limiter is allowed to discharge into a space. I will find my notes on it if you still need to use to make a determination. Basically the limiter under rupture condition needs to be able to stay diluted bellow the 4% LEL of methane and would not be able to do so in a sealed closet.

Try NFPA 54 ANSI Z223.1 installing regulator with vent limiting device in ventilated space only.