• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Gaurds on Exterior Stairs

Mule

Platinum Member
Dealing with a middle school final. The building is split level because of the slope of the area. Ground level is the main entrance. As you look to the left the fall of the land allows the building to be at a lower level.

There are stairs leading down to the lower level. This is the area that the architect is saying that since these stairs are not part of the exit access that the gaurds are not required to meet the requirements for gaurds because the specifications for gaurds are in the "Means of Egress" section.

The gaurds are 42" high and have a vertical bar at 32". That leaves about a 9" space between the top of the gaurd to the vertical bar. My interpreatation is that since section 1013 specifies "all" gaurds (with exceptions)...that means ALL gaurds, even if the gaurds are not part of the exit access.

What are yall's thoughts?

Sorry, a guard is a guard. Stairs, handrails, ramps are in Chapter 10, so then don't have to comply if the aren't part of the MOE? Wrong, nice try.

Does the stair height above grade require guards, or do the stairs essentially follow the slope? If they are essentially at grade, then the guards are not required and are decorative elements. If more than 30" I completely agree with you and Fatboy.

Good point about the "guard" following the contour of the slope w/o exceeding 30" above grade TBO.

The stairs do not follow the slope. It drops off too quick. At the area where the gaurds are the drop off is about 10 to 15 feet below the walkway. I'll go out and get a picture in a bit!

I thought it was a good argument but.......nope! Sorry Charlie!

Mule, it is simple if the fall is greater than 30" then put a red flag/tag on it with the instructions on how the appeals process works and cite 1013 and note this needs to be corrected.

If they don't agree with your correct findings, again calmly listen to their argument and then say No Can Do I disagree!

The title of the section is means of egress, it sets a minimum to the amount of exits, stairs, doors, guards and other items required, however, just because you install more than the required minimum this does not mean that the additional items are not required to meet the minimum requirements unless specifically listed as exempt within the code.

An added point remind them that the ICC reduced the upper opening from 8" to 4-3/8" in 2009, thus the 9" moves in the wrong direction.

The legacy codes had the requirements for guardrails in different locations. It was agreed to put them in Chapter 10 of the IBC since that is where most people would tend to look for those requirements. Nothing in Section 1013 (2006) states that guards are required only in the required means of egress.

Thanks for all of your comments. There is an area where the stairs are less than 30" above the ground. So they will not be required there. Here are some pictures.

397249277.jpg

397249281.jpg

397249284.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, looks like at least from the middle of the second to last flight from the bottom, and above is not compliant.

Where the stairs are to less than 30" above grade I'd leave it, anywhere else needs to comply w/guard requirements (add a bar).

Optical...I think it's the shadow...I think this pic will show it better.

397249277.jpg

I had one similar...no grade issue, but high school stairs navigating sloped site were off by 3/4 at every bottom riser...superintendent of schools was not too happy when we couldn't final it...

Add 1 pipe everywhere with more than a 30" drop...

Okay, spoke with architect, he reminded me that this job was submitted under the 2006 codes. Okay, I admit I looked at the 2009, however as a defense I used the electronic version and there wasn't a bar beside the text indicating a change to the code so...I thought okay...4". Architect is right as far as the code they were built under..HOWEVER the gap between the top rail and the next bar is 10 1/4 inches. Less than 8 is required so......they still need to do something to make the guard compliant with the 2006.

Thanks for the help!

Interesting, as long as the opening between the top of the railing and top bar don't allow passage of the 8" sphere (2006 IBC) I think I would pass it.

"Architect is right as far as the code they were built under..HOWEVER the gap between the top rail and the next bar is 10 1/4 inches. Less than 8 is required so......they still need to do something to make the guard compliant with the 2006."

Interesting ...

1001.1 General. Buildings or portions thereof shall be provided with a means of egress system as required by this chapter. The provisions of this chapter shall control the design, construction and arrangement of means of egress components required to provide an approved means of egress from structures and portions thereof.
Egress from buildings or structures.

MEANS OF EGRESS. A continuous and unobstructed path of vertical and horizontal egress travel from any occupied portion of a building or structure to a public way. A means of egress consists of three separate and distinct parts: the exit access, the exit and the exit discharge.
These stairs are already in the public way, are they not?

"These stairs are already in the public way, are they not?"

Doesn't appear that way to me......... by the pics, we have no idea where the public way is. JMHO

PUBLIC WAY. A street, alley or other parcel of land open to

the outside air leading to a street, that has been deeded, dedicated

or otherwise permanently appropriated to the public for

public use and which has a clear width and height of not less

than 10 feet (3048 mm).