• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Generator located at the property line?

JohnM

I asked the electrician who came out about setback as I want to put the generator across the wife's garden/courtyard. The prime location is 3' from the property line. The electrician who also does Generac installs for Lowes said that I can put it as close to the property line as I want. This just doesn't sound right to me. The municipality uses the 2015 national builder's code. Is there any reference to generator location other than how close it can be to the house. I've looked for days but can't find a definitive answer.

I can put it as close to the property line as I want
If your municipality has a planning department, you should ask about setback requirements. Be aware of any neighbors that could be bothered by the noise and exhaust fumes.

Planning & Zoning tell you what you could put where.
Building Codes tell you to what minimum standards the structure must be built (how).

Your situation is a zoning issue that has nothing to do with building codes which is why you won't find your answer in the building code.