• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

generator locking switch?

SuperChief

I am in the process of putting in a safety switch to my house from generator. It is a mobile home with service to the box under the home. I have to put the outlet to breaker box. Can I run Romex up from the input to the breaker position without conduit? Can i use a portion of the extension cord that is jacketed without conduit? Can I strip the extension cord (excess piece not attached) and run it in conduit? I would ike to use the piece of extension cord as is without conduit. It will be 240v 50amp double circuit breaker 6 gauge wire of 3-6g, 1-8g. I really don't want the extra expense of Romex. thanks

Welcome

I am not an electrician

But sounds like the set up you want,,, is a fire waiting to happen.

Are you burying any of this wire??

Welcome

I am not an electrician

But sounds like the set up you want,,, is a fire waiting to happen.

Are you burying any of this wire??
I joined this forum to be informed, not criticised. I expected professional replies as they apply to codes, etc title of forum reads: "Discussion concerning electrical code requirements, situation, etc. for all codes such as the NEC, CEC and more" I am not a thin skinned 'Karen' but if I want criticism I'll dial up my ex-wife. It appears that this is just another FB.

I am in the process of putting in a safety switch to my house from generator. It is a mobile home with service to the box under the home. I have to put the outlet to breaker box. 1.Can I run Romex up from the input to the breaker position without conduit? 2.Can i use a portion of the extension cord that is jacketed without conduit? 3.Can I strip the extension cord (excess piece not attached) and run it in conduit? 4.I would ike to use the piece of extension cord as is without conduit. It will be 240v 50amp double circuit breaker 6 gauge wire of 3-6g, 1-8g. I really don't want the extra expense of Romex. thanks
1-No 2-no 3-no 4-no

Last edited:
I joined this forum to be informed, not criticised. I expected professional replies as they apply to codes, etc title of forum reads: "Discussion concerning electrical code requirements, situation, etc. for all codes such as the NEC, CEC and more" I am not a thin skinned 'Karen' but if I want criticism I'll dial up my ex-wife. It appears that this is just another FB.
Boy are you off base chief. First you were not criticised. No he didnt cite chapter and verse ... it that what got your navy panties in a wad? But he did comment that it doesnt sound like a good solution. Yes you are thin skinned and no one cares about your marital status. And this is the furthest thing from facebook.

This does not cover everything but, flexible cord cannot be used in place of permanent wiring, & NM cable "Romex®" is permitted in dry locations only, it cannot be used outside even if in conduit.

Romex outside? No, not code compliant. If you come here to ask a question, you may get the answer you don't want. I am sure there are forums that will tell you what you want to hear. You are starting right out of the box complaining about a legitimate response. Thicker skin may help. Welcome but take the chip off your shoulder and dig in.

What is the size of the optional standby generator?
Did you already look at the NEC sections 445 & 702?
What did you buy as your "safety switch?" (brand, model number)

You are starting right out of the box complaining about a legitimate response. Thicker skin may help. Welcome but take the chip off your shoulder and dig in.
While I certainly agree with your sentiment the posting he was complaining about was far from being helpful. The first replying poster did not say he thought it was against code or anything else. He said he wasn't an electrician, didn't cite that he thought it was against code and just said that it looked like a fire waiting to happen. At the very least this reply should have said I believe it's against code and it looks dangerous. I do agree however that the OP was also in the wrong.

While I certainly agree with your sentiment the posting he was complaining about was far from being helpful. The first replying poster did not say he thought it was against code or anything else. He said he wasn't an electrician, didn't cite that he thought it was against code and just said that it looked like a fire waiting to happen. At the very least this reply should have said I believe it's against code and it looks dangerous. I do agree however that the OP was also in the wrong.
I would disagree with the statement that CDA's post was not helpful. Similarly, I to am not an electrician, but from my work with fire prevention officers and reading some of ICE's posts on this forum, I know that replacing what should be permanent wiring with an extension cord is inherently unsafe (a fire hazard). Working in a safety facing occupation, I too would express caution to anyone wanting to pursue this path for their project.

I feel the OP's response is more related to the fact that they were told what they already suspected (that the arrangement was inherently unsafe), but wanted to proceed regardless. In this situation, people engage in what we refer to as answer shopping. They either keep asking the same question in different ways or asking different people, until they get the answer they want. This way, they are not responsible for their own actions. They can easily blame others if something negative happens from the chosen course of action.

Additionally, when receiving CDA's response the OP likely experienced cognitive dissonance. Everyone believes they are a good person who does good things. Bad things they do get explained away as something anyone in their situation would do. It is important to understand that decision making happens in the emotional center of the brain, then heads to the logic center so we can justify the decision that we just made. There is significant proof of this where people who have suffered from damage to the emotional center of the brain cannot make even the simplest decisions like which restaurant to eat at. Creating a fire hazard is not something a good person would do, but CDA's post indicated that this would be the likely result of the proposed course of action. The OP then being confronted with this information, now experiences cognitive dissonance. This is when you have two competing messages in your brain simultaneously. Which will win? Well, there is plenty of research on that. The first thing someone hears on a particular topic will likely form the basis of their understanding on the topic. It does not need to be accompanied by any significant source of supporting documentation for most people. They simply accept new information as fact without any real evidence, formulating their position on the topic. Now to dislodge this position, it requires substantial supporting documentation, substantially more than it took to form the position initially (it's hard for people to admit they are wrong). Sometimes, the evidence requirements are so high, that someone may never actually accept they hold an incorrect position on a subject. The OP rejects the new information that they may be creating a fire hazard as a perceived personal attack (remember only a bad person would create a fire hazard). They respond in kind with an attack.

I have found the understanding of cognitive dissonance to be instrumental in how I deal with contractors and owners in my line of work. Ultimately, this information governs how I frame information to try and avoid cognitive dissonance where possible. You can do this a lot of ways, making them feel that they are not alone in their error of belief is a really easy one (people are a lot more comfortable being wrong if they are not alone). This also allows them to salvage their ego (another critical understanding in our work), helping to refocus on solving the issue instead of them needing to prove their competence to restore the damaged ego. I would suggest that the response from the OP is related to damage suffered to the ego as well.

Ultimately, I feel the response from the OP was inevitable, whether it was CDA or someone else since there appears to be a consensus that the arrangement is not in compliance with the code.

Ok, got my psychology and forum posting lesson.

Yes it was a general comment, coming from the fire investigation side, where you see some interesting wiring.

Yes I did ask for more information, as in are you going to bury any of the wire.

Now I know what """" cognitive dissonance """

And now I have to go to the doctor, because I think I have been suffering from cognitive dissonance for a while.. Hope he can treat me.

Thanks for all the comments.

Answer shopping ... i like that. It very nicely describes a lot of internet forum behavior.

The section about cognitive dissonance ... interesting. Is that from behavorial psychology or what?
Yes, although it is still technically just a theory. I've found a working understanding of how the brain processes information and makes decisions as being instrumental in ensuring my effectiveness as a regulator.

First I learned the code, then I learned how to make people follow it.

Answer shopping. Sometimes we can watch the live progression of it when someone calls in and and gets an answer they don't like, then the next guy's phone rings....and on up the chain.

I would have gone with: Look for a DIY forum.....

Funny story, I failed an electrician on health care wiring, he called a buddy of mine (that I had already spoken to) and got the same answer, then called his electrical guy( who then in turn asked him) same answer, then my buddy was at an IAEI meeting talking to another inspector and that inspector starts talking about this guy asking him about health care wiring.....4 times he has to answer a question that wasn't even his Town....