• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

get the BBQ sauce ready

cda

Sawhorse 123
Come on down and see the great Scott Stookey in person

http://www.uta.edu/ce/crc/19thbpi.pdf

3607AP Hazardous Materials - 2009 IFC - Detailed overview of the Hazardous Materials requirements associated with the 2009 International

Fire Code (IFC). Instructor: Scott Stookey.

4607AP Compressed Gases and Cryogenic Fluids - 2009 IFC -

and the World Series runner up is in town against the Chicago White sox

http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/schedule/index.jsp?c_id=tex&m=5&y=2011

with a day game on Wednesday

He will be in Bozeman Mt on April 4 teaching High Piled Storage and classification of commodities in relation to the NFPA 13. Other training available over a 4 day period. Cost is $60.00 and lunch is provided.

No ball games but skiing is close

http://bsd.dli.mt.gov/bc/ed.asp

When you see him next ask him:

" Air speed velocity?

What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Hazmatpoobah

Better Living Through Modern Chemistry"

He was at the building officials meeting in Round Rock Texas this year. Spoke on changes between the 2009 and 2012 Fire Codes Did you guys know that high rise buildings will be required to have terrorist resistant sheetrock in them above a certain height in the 2012 codes??????

Here's an article in the Life Safety Digest. The article begins on page 12.

Impact Resistant

Stookey called it terrorist resistant sheetrock.

I know this is kind of off topic, but does anyone know what the purpose of the impact resistant sheetrock is? The article really said nothing about the true intent.

Please don't tell me it's to protect the shaft from impact from aircraft debris. If I remember my physics correctly, just a small 2 lb piece of metal travelling at 200 mph produces 2608 ft-lb of force (1/2 MV^2), far exceeding the 300 required for class 3 impact resistance.

My kneejerk reaction is that this is a kneejerk reaction.

Here is some reasoning.............

The NIST report of 2005 noted that falling debris and fire rendered certain stairwells

impassable in WTC1 and WTC2.14 The New York City Building Code requires

stairwells and elevator shafts in high-rise buildings to have impact resistant walls, but

it leaves the establishment of minimum impact resistance standards to agency

rulemaking.15 Accordingly, to enable evacuation and life safety operations, the NYPD

recommends that owners of all High Tier buildings and Medium Tier buildings taller

than 600 feet reinforce egress routes, preferably with concrete encasements or other

solutions engineered to achieve exit route survivability.

The link to this article is HERE

Weird coming from a police department though!

Yes, but even that explanation doesn't hold water. It basically says, "The police prefer concrete stairwells". OK, great, and I prefer my highrise buildings to have exterior windows that will stop a 767 traveling at 350 MPH in a 60 degree bank. Guess what, I'm sh1t out of luck.

Where's the science? There is no science, and as soon as you put science to it, you see that 300 ft-lb is a ridiculous, arbitrary, and irrelevant number.

It's a retroactive, kneejerk reaction that throws money down a hole and does nothing to solve any problem.

If you want to strengthen shafts, go for it. But do it right instead of just going through the motions to say you did something and wasting money for no tangible improvement.

The gypsum lobbyist are selling a point that is dull!

would like to finally meet Scott.. I've talked to him frequently thru the years (of course, I no longer have his phone number, since I got a phone "upgrade").. sheetrock is what it is.. gypsum.. (if I remember the Mohs hardness scale correctly.. its the lowest strength mineral)... unless you reinforce it with titanium.. it's still .. well, weak.

I'd love to see a requirement that ALL levels of stairways be concrete.. we only see CMU up to about the 4th floor.. shaft wall (gypsum) after that.. only the lowest levels really offer any level of protection.

MT

so how was the training with the big kahona????

Did he sell his Scott's BBQ sauce?????

Just got back. He was great only had him 1 day and then he left. Did not sell any BBQ sauce. Scott Thomas from Colorado was also very good on Chapter 34 and the IEBC and a legal and ethics class. On a sad note Doug Thornburgh did not make it do to the loss of his son the week before in a traffic accident