• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Gift ideas for the little lady.

Chris,

My wife was 37 when she died from cancer in 1990. She had a great love of opals; so, it was easy to shop for her. I'd love to buy her some opal jewelry this Christmas.

The reason I tell you this; is not to solicit pity (I am ok); but, to remind all of you who have a life mate still with you, to cherish them; and I hope that, with this thought in mind, you will easily find the perfect gift for her/him this Christmas.

Best Wishes to You and Yours,

Uncle Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
A vaccuum or maybe some dish soap?

I kid, I kid.

My wife loves music. I buy her some itunes gift cards, some lingerie and her fav perfume and she is set!

Got it covered already. 2 new CD'S for the stocking. Steel Drivers and Dave Evans. (Bluegrass) And a new watch from Montana Silver Smiths. 28 & 1/2 years together. UB, thanks for the perspective.

CDA, your sick!

Last edited by a moderator:
UB: Those are true words form the heart! We must all embrace them with encouragement. Life is short and we don't know what tomorrow will bring. Cherish the time together.

Now for gifts, haven't given it a thought! My wife has a BLACK BELT in shopping. Most often she has already picked out what she wants long before I even consider it. If you know what I mean.

Now if a vacuum or mixer or something close ended up under the tree, the EMS and first responders would be in my driveway. So I will wait for instructions!

Of all the gifts the ones that mean the most are the cards I've personally written that expresses my love and fond memories to my wife and Mom. To the boys (now young men) of the honor it is to be their father.

When I first moved in with my husband (at the time we were still dating), I had mentioned at some point that we needed an iron/ironing board. He then took it upon himself to make that a birthday gift for me. Luckily he's not a complete idiot--he also included a new watch. As "offended" as I was that he bought me an appliance for a birthday gift--he did take the time to completely wrap the ironing board. It was kinda funny :)

But generally as a rule...I would never recommend to a man to buy his gal something she "needs" as a gift. We, as women, have a habit of only buying the things we NEED and not the ones we WANT. Spoil her a little once or twice a year guys and get the things she wants and will not buy for herself.

My wife and I have an excellent arrangement. She gets it, wraps it, and tells me what I got her. I don't need to ask what size, what smell, or color she likes. She did hint that she would love to have a new cookware set. Since she is not that good of a cook, I am not sure that is a good suggestion. We just celebrated our 25th anniversary and spent that evening picking out floor tile. She picked them out, I installed them. Everyone is happy.

CDA: LG. It is not the gift it is the thought !!!!!!
You're right! So my husband better not even THINK about buying me a vacuum cleaner! :)

My friend got a toaster oven for her 50th birthday. Now THAT was a mistake! Believe me, I would be thrilled with a thoughtful letter as a gift...I'm definitely not about the price tag, but certain gifts just don't seem like enough thought went in. I actually think an ICC membership would be more thoughtful than a vacuum cleaner, but I already have one.

Last week, I contacted a local artist and am having a custom painting done for our living room. Hope she likes it. We moved into our house five years ago and have virtually nothing on the walls! This should get the decorating started.

UB -

You are so right! I lost the love of my life in 2003 to a heart attack at 47. He bought me a fun, practical gift the previous year - a 1988 Suzuki Samurai. I still have it and use it, especially here in winter.

As to other types of 'practical gifts' - vacuums, cookware, toaster ovens, etc. - to me, these are non-holiday, household purchases.

Sue, in beautiful NorCal

I have learned to spend days shopping & pay attention through out the year and pick up the necklace or earrings or whatever that she would not spend the money on and put it away till Christmas or b-day. Also if you have a daughter call her for ideas.

FYI Do not purchase a riding lawnmower on Mothers Days no matter what kind of sale it is, you will never live it down.

got her a stihl chainsaw last year, big mistake! i'm thinking an Alaska chain saw mill to compliment last years gift, opinions? my back-up gift is gift certificates for the beauty shop, book store, pedicure shop,and massage. throw in the card , chocolates, flowers, and the mixing oil for last years gift and see what happens !

last year my husband bought me a gift certificate for a 1-hour massage. It was the best gift ever and it was something I loved, but would never spend the money for on myself. I told him he could buy me that every year and I would love it every time!

First year we were wed (31 years ago) I gave her a first aid kit. I told it was so she could treat me over the ensuing years for when she smacked me over the head for giving her a stupid gift.

A couple of books on her biographies. She loves books and we have most of the stuff we need or want - simple life now.

The jewelry thing? Not an easy task. My dear wife is allergic to nickel, the compound used in making gold more sturdy, less malleable. She needs 18k or higher or else she starts to get welts and her skin turns green. "How about an aluminum ring, dear?" *Didn't think so. . . *

Remote car starter 1,500 ft range. She can start her car as she leaves the mall and the inside will be warm or cool when she gets there. Really nice when she leaves her 5th floor office on a 15 degree day. About $600 installed.