• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Glass Block

jeremy

I need a little clarification on the use of glass block in fire-rated assemblies. Back when I started in code enforcment under the UBC, my building official told me that fire-rated glass block was not allowed as an opening protection in fire-rated assemblies (other than on some atrium applications). He said the reason why is because there are no approved tested assemblies using glass block and that while glass block might have a rating, the mortar didn't.

Now it appears that as of the 2003 IBC, glass block is allowed in some fire barriers and partitions rated 1-hour or less (Section 2110.1.1). My question is this: if one is using glass block in a rated wall, is there an assembly design that needs to be followed, or can it just be put together in any manner using block and mortar?

Re: Glass Block

I just answered my own question -- exception 1 says "glass block assemblies." Does anyone know of any glass block assemblies?