• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Glazed openings area - Ontario Building Code

Katerina

How to calculate glazed opening for limiting distance calculations (single detached residential)?
Include window frames or not? And I've seen both done in practice.
Just want to know what is the correct way.
There is no formal definition of 'glazed opening' in the OBC, unlike 'unprotected opening'.
Thanks!)

How to calculate glazed opening for limiting distance calculations (single detached residential)?
Include window frames or not? And I've seen both done in practice.
Just want to know what is the correct way.
There is no formal definition of 'glazed opening' in the OBC, unlike 'unprotected opening'.
Thanks!)
We typically use the rough stud opening. The intent is to capture the exposure of fire from the building you are designing onto another. With most windows being vinyl, I doubt it would stay in place long during a fire.