• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Glazing in Gymnasiums

Uncle Bob

2009 IBC, 2408.3 Gymnasiums. "Glazing in multipurpose gymnasiums, and similar athletic facilities subject to human impact loads shall comply with Category II of CPSC 16 CFR 1201 or Class A of ASNI Z97.1 listed in Chapter 35." Occupant of commercial gymnastics business wants to put observation windows in the wall between the gymnasium area and the area where parents can observe their children. Window company wants to know what the heck CPSC 16 CFR 1201 and/or Class A of ANSI Z97.1 requirements are? What does the window company have to provide to prove their window meets these requirements? (ps, I'm an old plexi-glass guy myself, but that probably don't meet code). Help please. Uncle Bob

If a window company is asking that question, then they should be questioning whether or not they should stay in that business. Safety glazing standards should be entry-level information for people in that line of business.

Just what I needed ya'll; and Ron, I agree. It sometime gets depressing, having to give "professionals?" information they should be well aware of.

Thank you all, very much,

Uncle Bob

RLGA said:
If a window company is asking that question, then they should be questioning whether or not they should stay in that business. Safety glazing standards should be entry-level information for people in that line of business.
That's exactly what I was thinking!!!