• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Going to Florida from another state

twoply

Hello Florida people!

I'm currently a Building inspector, Residential building inspector,Plumbing inspector Interim and Residential Building Official interim in Ohio. I have family in Florida and it might be time to make the move south.

I've seen some postings for openings for inspectors and I'll be looking to transfer. I started researching what tests are going to be required for Florida and it's somewhat confusing. I found this link, http://www.myfloridalicense.com/dbpr/servop/testing/documents/builcib.pdf but I'm still unclear about what test to schedule.

Can anyone shed some light the licenses for me? I was looking to come in as a Construction Inspector in a larger size city.

Thanks in advance.

Best advice would be to call the board directly. That way you get it from the horse.

I know on the fire side Florida does not play well with others.

Building ::

License Information

License Categories:

(3 types of licenses Standard, Limited and Provisional can be obtained in the following categories):

Building Code Administrator

Building Code Inspector

Plans Examiner

Methods of Licensure:

By Endorsement - Yes

By Examination - Yes

By Reciprocity - No

Business Entity - No

No reciprocity !!!!

http://www.myfloridalicense.com/DBPR/pro/build/

https://www.myfloridalicense.com/CheckListDetail.asp?SID=&xactCode=1010&clientCode=5001&XACT_DEFN_ID=4083

:::,

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck calling the board and good luck getting anywhere. No one from the board will talk to you. They are kept away in a vault, far away from applicants. It is like the good ole boys club and you will not have an easy time. You will need to attend the meeting that they have (every other month at a different location) when they review your application(s). I asked help from another member here (Bryan Holland) which was no help and called the girl in charge of communicating with the board, did everything they asked to the T, had a sign off by a licensed FL structural engineer and still, in the end I got nowhere and wasted $560 because if you are not being submitted by a city or county the fees are 10 times as much but the cities and counties won't hire you unless you already have the license active.

Your mileage may vary.

It sounds like the key to this is finding a jurisdiction that wants to hire you. Typically you get a set time period to get the required license. Considering that you already have Building inspector, Residential building inspector,Plumbing inspector Interim and Residential Building Official interim in Ohio, you should get a shot at it.

Agree with Jeff 100%, Florida is not an easy bird to crack. It's a shame cause some of the cities seem to pump and dump hires at will. Do your research on cities past before applying.

@ ~ @ ~ @

" Agree with Jeff 100%, Florida is not an easy bird to crack. It's a
shame cause some of the cities seem to pump and dump hires at will. Do
your research on cities past before applying. "
This can be said for any jurisdiction !.........Be very, very selective
before you jump in to that Greener Pasture !

@ ~ @ ~ @

Florida also has a high rate of internal political pressure, when it comes to building code enforcement. "They" will tell you otherwise, but it isn't true. It usually comes from within the jurisdiction that you work at. The administrators think that they are God.

If you want to work there you have to be licensed there. The easiest way is to get hired somewhere and go from there. You will have to apply to the board to be "approved" to get a license. You may be able to save a step if you take the ICC test (in whatever category) but you still have to apply to the board. Good luck.

Update!

After 3 submissions of my credentials, I have been "authorized" to take this exam: 20-FL-J - FL Building Code Principles and Practice.

I have a list of references from this link they sent me, but I'm unfamiliar with them. I'm researching, but can anyone give me the short explanation of them?

It looks like I need the:
Florida Statute,
Florida Administrative Code
2012 Florida Accessibility Code for Building Construction
Florida Building Code- Energy Conservation (FBC, EC)

http://www.myfloridalicense.com/dbpr/servop/testing/documents/builcib.pdf

Yeah, so that test plus your ICC exam = licensed. That test is the Florida law stuff that they make you take. You only have to take that once and after you do it would apply to whatever category of license you apply for.

Update!

After 3 submissions of my credentials, I have been "authorized" to take this exam: 20-FL-J - FL Building Code Principles and Practice.

I have a list of references from this link they sent me, but I'm unfamiliar with them. I'm researching, but can anyone give me the short explanation of them?

It looks like I need the:
Florida Statute,
Florida Administrative Code
2012 Florida Accessibility Code for Building Construction
Florida Building Code- Energy Conservation (FBC, EC)

http://www.myfloridalicense.com/dbpr/servop/testing/documents/builcib.pdf

How many licenses did you apply for? You may want to call and check and see if you were approved for all of them or just one.