• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Grant money for building safety department?

After searching to see if there is any grant money available for a building safety department, all I can find are grants that would be more applicable to (1) fire and rescue, (2) disaster recovery, (3) OSHA training.

Does anyone have experience related to grant money that would be applicable to a building safety department?

Thanks!

BayPointArchitect said:
After searching to see if there is any grant money available for a building safety department, all I can find are grants that would be more applicable to (1) fire and rescue, (2) disaster recovery, (3) OSHA training.Does anyone have experience related to grant money that would be applicable to a building safety department?

Thanks!
I have done a ton of looking and research and found next to nothing.

Our department receives a number of grants, but those are for the planning side (merged department). There is a ton of stuff for pollution prevention, enviro stuff, things of that nature, but not really for building.

Sometimes a municipality can use CDBG money for building safety, ie. Upgrades to water lines for sprinklers, sidewalks, etc. We did that in our downtown.

What responsibilities does the department have

And what would the money be used for

This department's responsibility is to review construction plans for minimum code compliance and issue building permits.

Considering that we do enforce the 2009 IECC, we could possibily find $100,000 worth of grant money out there for educating the public about energy efficiency along with the purchase of several ladders and flashlights. Otherwise, it has been difficult to police contractors who say that they have R38 insulation in the attic but it is a little suspicious that they fail to provide a ladder for the inspector. What contractor does not have a ladder needed to reach the attic access panel?

JP Ranch

I can see that the risk would be that the feds would give us the money and then want to take it back again if they were to spot check our enforcement and find (fabricate) a discrepancy.