• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

greater and lesser where there may be more than two stairs or ramps

sunyaer

The following is from Ontario Building Code, Division B, part 9
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
9.8.6.3. Dimensions of Landings

(4) Where flights or ramps of different widths adjoin a single landing, the minimum width of the landing shall be,
(a) not less than the greater required stair or ramp width, where one or more of the stair or ramp widths do not exceed their respective required widths, or
(b) not less than the lesser actual stair or ramp width, where all of the widths of the stairs or ramps exceed their respective required widths.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Should "greater" be "greatest" as there may be more than two stairs or ramps with different required widths in the situation of (a)? And should "lesser" be "least" for the same reason that there may be more than two stairs or ramps with different required widths in (b)?

I assume the following scenarios, am I correct in determining the required landing width?

1692106588632.png

Case A: yes. Where the largest width requirement just meets code, it governs for the size of the landing.
Case B: That is the way it is written, but I don't think it is the intent. I think it was written based on the assumption that all the required sizes were the same. In that instance you are only holding someone to meet the lowest provided size. I think the intent would be for the landing to be 1505.

(4)(b) needs a code change.