• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Green focus group

jpranch

Platinum Member
Last week I participated in a green focus group. I know, I know... Let the fun begin! I have to say that I was very pleasantly surprised. I was expecting the left wing fuzzy bunny huggers wanting to sing kumbia. Instead I found that they all were very concerned about the radical nature if the IECC and the new IGBC. There was quite a lot of resentment towards Washington promoting all this green stuff. Representives from across the state spoke in a loud and clear voice that green building has to make sense ("good common sense") and there must be return on investment within a reasonable amount of time.

Thoughts?

I fear that the voice of reason will be lost in the discussions. There will be federal mandates, or funding sources with conditions that a certain set of rules be adopted. We have already seen the Feds offer grants to local building departments. Those grants typically come with very long strings attached.

JP:

I hope when you, and others, residing in more sensible areas of the country go to these green focus groups you bring up the points made here such as:

1. In new York LEED buildings are consuming 29% more energy than comparable non-LEED buildings.
  2. In Silicon Valley, where we already have green codes, people are getting sick from the toxic chemicals embodied in the new "green" materials, nobody knows how many people will die from cancer and how many children will be born with birth defects. Mosquitoes are breeding in gray water cisterns.
Anybody planning to go to one of these focus groups can contact me and I will forward links to articles documenting problems with these ill-conceived codes.

ca, those issues were dicussed as well. We also talked about light weight construction & fire, toxic components, indoor air quality, "green" fad, mandates from washington (extortion) investment vs return. etc...

fatboy, So have I. But I have come to beleive that if I don't get involved the voice of common sense will just be a whisper in the wind. So at least for now I'll keep trying.

I am glad the Representives from across your state spoke in a voice that makes sense.

No conspiracy theories