• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Green v. Fire

FM William Burns

In the recent ICC hearings proposals to establish means for remote quick power disconnects of PV solar heating panels on commercial and residential high rise roofs were rejected. Oh well the fire service is a dangerous business right?

Well I’ve been harping on the fire service issues related to the “Green Movement” for some time on the old BB and I’m happy that some dialog is being generated so others can see that there is a bigger picture that needs attention:

http://www.nfpa.org/publicJournalDetail ... FPAJournal

There are many other examples where our interest in saving energy with new technologies—solar panels, “green” building materials, and so on—has a direct impact on fire safety. We can address that impact if we are ready for it. It is important for all of us in the fire safety community to keep up with developments in energy-saving technology, so that we can better ensure that the technology is fire-safe.Kathleen H. Almand, P.E. , FSFPE, is the executive director of the Fire Protection Research Foundation.

Re: Green v. Fire

I think that there is a real concern about maintence of "green roofs". If not maintained a green roof could dry out and contribute to fuel load. A wild land fire on a roof??? :?:

jpranch said:
I think that there is a real concern about maintence of "green roofs". If not maintained a green roof could dry out and contribute to fuel load. A wild land fire on a roof??? :?:
I propose sprinklers for all green roofs just in case they are not maintained!

A horizontal stand pipe system designed to flood the roof! :lol: I'm sure that the plumbing code guys would be interested in that one.