• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Greetings from Washington State

imhotep

Silver Member
Hello to all.

I appreciate the opportunity to join this community. We are an IBC state with Statewide Amendments. I practice in a 20 man architectural firm in Olympia, Washington. I am a senior project manager (26+ years experience), but not licensed. I have been on both sides of the counter and have a particular interest in the role of police powers (codes and relevant laws, ordinances, rules and regulations) in the building industry.

I first started lurking on the ICC forums back in the day and understand that this forum came into being when the powers that be decided to improve the ICC's web site, but sorta forgot about how those changes might impact the open discussion forums on their site. Be that as it may I value the thought provoking discussions found here.

One of my roles in our firm is to beat into the heads of the RDP's that besides clients and contractors there are code officials who have a seat at 'our' table. That the documents we produce are no longer solely intended to describe the bounds of a construction contract and to build, but rather (and some would say more importantly) are intended to show in detail that the design will conform to the provisions of the code and relevant laws, ordinances, rules and regulations, as determined by the building official. (Funny that - where do I get his/her handbook and commentary).

Through the years I have developed a thick skin. I stipulate that each of us (Owners, A/E professionals, Code Officials, Contractors and builders) have a vital role in successful projects that end with the safest buildings possible. I have an endless number of questions and am constantly learning. I have been known to be wrong and will readily admit it when I am.

Brian Little AG BS BA BFD

Well stated, and you are most welcome to this forum...........you have the right attitude for it, and I look forward to your input.

Brian, Welcome. If I'am correct imhotep was the Pharol during the time of Moses? And no I did not look this up on the net.

Imhotep was the architect for the first large pyramids. He also implemented a "spelling reform" that simplified Egyptian hieroglyphics. He lived about 1,300 years before Moses.

Jasper said:
Imhotep was the architect for the first large pyramids. He also implemented a "spelling reform" that simplified Egyptian hieroglyphics. He lived about 1,300 years before Moses.
I did not know the spelling reform factoid. Learn something every day.

fatboy said:
Well stated, and you are most welcome to this forum...........you have the right attitude for it, and I look forward to your input.
Thank you. I look forward to your feedback'

Francis Vineyard said:
Wecome imhotep, I like your sense of humor; "where do I get his/her handbook and commentary"
Humor is the best medicine, or so said Readers Digest. Thank you for the welcome.

jpranch said:
Brian, Welcome. If I'am correct imhotep was the Pharol during the time of Moses? And no I did not look this up on the net.
He is credited with inventing the pyramid. He piled Mastaba on Mastaba. If ones good, several is better. Thank you for the welcome.

welcome , did not the first builders of the pyramids also first master and document all roof framing math (especially with respect to the 2 foot sguare) as we know it today?

Coug Dad said:
Welcome. Every new member from Washington State makes this reluctant transplant miss it more and more.
Thank you for the welcome CD. Plenty to miss here in Washington. WSU is my Alma mater BTW.

Greetings from Washington also....

Look forward to having you participate in the discussions.