• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Group U occupancy load

kurt999

I have some confusion about the Group U buildings -- particularly the occupant load.

Per 312.1 (adopted code is IBC 2012), "Group U buildings and structures of an accessory character and miscellaneous structures not classified in any specific occupancy shall be constructed, equipped and maintained to conform to the requirements of this code commensurate with the fire and life hazard incidental to their occupancy."

The proposed stand-alone 20X30 building is part of a water treatment plant complex, and would remain unoccupied but for periodic maintenance / repair of a piece of equipment housed inside (nothing hazardous). So, the building is basically an unoccupied shed protecting equipment from weather. I know you're all jealous of such a glamorous project.

Although the building is essentially unoccupied, I will still need to calculate component sizes and travel distances for egress, etc. -- what is an applicable occupancy load factor for a Group U scenario like this?

Thanks --

Always good to remember that the listed "Function of Space" in Table 1004.1.2 have no direct correlation to the occupancy classification (Ch. 3).

Pick the function that most closely resembles how the space will be occupied, irrespective of the occupancy classification.

For example, the lounge in a small coffee shop would use the unconcentrated tables and chairs (assembly w/out fixed seats) OLF even though the tenant space as a whole may be classified as Group B (sub 50 occ.).

It seems to me I would be pretty hard to exceed the maximum distance to an exit and a building of that size. Additionally additionally a 36 inch door with thirty two inches clear has the exit in capacity Oo somewhere North of a 100 persons as I recall.

It seems to me I would be pretty hard to exceed the maximum distance to an exit and a building of that size. Additionally additionally a 36 inch door with thirty two inches clear has the exit in capacity Oo somewhere North of a 100 persons as I recall.
165 occupants without a sprinkler system and EVACS (emergency voice/alarm communication system).

~33" clear width / 0.2" per occupant = 165 occupants