• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Guarding for SFR access to boat dock

jar546

Forum Coordinator
If you have an 800' long "boardwalk" that serves a single family home to access the dock that serves a primary residence, do the guarding requirements apply in the areas where there is no water in the mangroves and the walking surface to grade below is greater than 30"? Most areas have water subject to tides but some areas are above dirt/sand.

I cannot find any exception to this requirement.

Is the boardwalk a structure built under a permit, or is it exempt?

If a permitted structure, similar to a deck, then I would say that IRC Section R312.1.1 applies.

If it is not a permitted structure, then I would say that IRC Section R312.1.1 is advisable, but not required. The IRC, for means of egress, only requires that egress be extended to the required egress door. Once you hit the exit door, the means of egress has ended. This is often overlooked in my experience, as the IBC requires that egress be extended to the public way (see IBC Section 1028.5).

R311.1 Means of Egress
Dwellings shall be provided with a means of egress in accordance with this section. The means of egress shall provide a continuous and unobstructed path of vertical and horizontal egress travel from all portions of the dwelling to the required egress door without requiring travel through a garage. The required egress door shall open directly into a public way or to a yard or court that opens to a public way.

While the IRC will provide all of the needed coverage for most residential construction, it might not address construction practices and systems that are atypical or rarely encountered in the industry...... In other words, the IRC is meant to be all inclusive for typical residential construction and it relies on other codes only where alternatives are desired or where the code lacks coverage for the uncommon aspect of residential construction.

A board walk or dock are not "common or typical" for a single family residential structure therefore you can use the IBC for this since it is addressed in the IBC

While the IRC will provide all of the needed coverage for most residential construction, it might not address construction practices and systems that are atypical or rarely encountered in the industry...... In other words, the IRC is meant to be all inclusive for typical residential construction and it relies on other codes only where alternatives are desired or where the code lacks coverage for the uncommon aspect of residential construction.

A board walk or dock are not "common or typical" for a single family residential structure therefore you can use the IBC for this since it is addressed in the IBC

True and I agree