• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Guardrails on docks and walkways

Are boat docks and walkways to the dock required to comply with the Florida Building Code section R312 ? Or are they exempt from this section ?

The one in question is private residential. The FBC "R" covers 1 & 2 dwellings and their accessory structures.

"R101.2Scope.
The provisions of the Florida Building Code, Residential shall apply to the construction, alteration, movement, enlargement, replacement, repair, equipment, use and occupancy, location, removal and demolition of detached one- and two-family dwellings and townhouses not more than three stories above gradeplane in height with a separate means of egress and their accessory structures. "

Not from IRC but:
IBC 1013.1 Guards
are not required On the loading side of ... docks or piers.

# = # = #

That is a different type of [ Loading ] dock Mark !

Section 312.1.1; from the `14 FBC, 5th Edition, Residential,
requires guards along open sided walking surfaces.

I would also want to know if this dock \ pier is located within
a Flood or Tidal Zone.

# = # = #

Reactions: JBI
Yes a permit is required for dock work in Florida, tidal zone No, flood zone Yes. Walkway is elevated greater than 30" above water. However the question also becomes "is the water also grade" ? My concern is for children and elderly people walking out there, without a guardrail there is potential for falling into the water. As far as the open side of dock, no guardrail is required where boat is docked. I will post a picture of the site asap.

Build it to the IBC!.....Specifically the last line of the section. I think there is another more specific section as well, but I can't get there right now.

R104.11 Alternative materials, design and methods of construction and equipment. The provisions of this code are not intended to prevent the installation of any material or to prohibit any design or method of construction not specifically prescribed by this code, provided that any such alternative has been approved. An alternative material, design or method of construction shall be approved where the building official finds that the proposed design is satisfactory and complies with the intent of the provisions of this code, and that the material, method or work offered is, for the purpose intended, at least the equivalent of that prescribed in this code. Compliance with the specific performance-based provisions of the International Codes in lieu of specific requirements of this code shall also be permitted as an alternate.

Is the intend of the "dock" for boats or for "pedestrian traffic"?
How do you know where to leave the "gaps" in the guard or what size the boat is?

dock3.jpeg

web-hermosa_pier_line_rail.jpg

A dock is a dock, not a deck. No guardrails/handrails required on a single-level dock, unless your code specifically mandates them. If a kid is playing unattended on a dock and falls in the water, that is a parenting issue - not a code one.

IMO, of course...

Reactions: JBI
We usually see a handrail/guardrail on the ramp leading to the dock area on residential. The only time I see something like this is a commercial operation with passengers loading and unloading tour boats

DSC8960.jpg