• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Gypsum inspections

SCBO1

Platinum Member
Does anyone do a commercial gypsum board/fastening inspection on walls that are not fire-resistance-rated.

2006 IBC109.3.5 has an exception for walls that are not FRR.

If I'am understanding this, no need to inspect interior office type walls that are not required to be FRR?

Re: Gypsum inspections

You are correct, unamended IBC does not require inspections of non-rated gyp applications.

Thanks, Harley Davidson Fatboy rider, :D

My stepdad has a 1969 police special that the cat likes to sleep in the seat, I don't think you can buy anymore chrome for that bike! :cool:

"or a shear assembly" ! Just in case someone reads this thread and assumes that "only" fire resistant rated are required to be inspected.

Uncle Bob

UB,

yes, I agree shear assembly inspection would be required if applicable. Same with public bathrooms with a shower, toilet & urinal as Plans Approver points out, very good point about the public bathroom's and moisture resistance sections of chapter 25!

Why is't cross referenced with IBC109.3.5?

I didn't look it up UB, but you are correct. As for the rest of the replies, I answered the OP's question, didn't say there was not another reason to do a wallboard inspection.

FWIW, we amended that exception out, we do wallboard inspections on all applications.

Although drywall inspections are required in PA (IMHO) they are in most cases not going to accomplish much.

First, to inspect after the drywall is installed is for the most part a blind mans game. One can not tell if the screws or nails are installed properly in to the studs, joist or rafters. One can't tell how many screw heads have spun off or only caught the edge of a member. Yes you can count the glue tubes on the floor, but you don't know if the glue had set before the drywall was placed. Or if the drywall was moved once in contact with the glue, or how thick the bead was. Just a few issues.

To show up after the rock is installed is just another mandate for inspectors. Maybe it is job security! Maybe it is an attempt to say,We inspected your drywall and all is fine. It is on my check list and I do my best with that mandate. In the end there is still a big void.

JMHO from one old dog to another!

I would submit that fire assemblies, shear assemblies and water board assemblies should be inspected, at the very least.