• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

H-3 Occupancy - Exits (1015 v. 1019)

alora

Silver Member
Type II-B, fire-sprinklered, concrete tilt-up wall & bar-joist roof structure, F-2 occupancy. 700,000+ sf.

H-3 occupancy room within building, not self-supporting, with sole access/egress directly to exterior. Interior 2-hour ceiling assembly.

299sf, 3 occupants, 1 exit provided.

---

Due to tight manufacturing process area within room, we provided an exit at one end of the 8' x 37'-4" room, citing Table 1015.1.

Building official cites Table 1019.2.

I referenced the "OR" in 1019.1:

1019.1 Minimum number of exits. All rooms and spaces within each story shall be provided with and have access to the minimum number of approved independent exits required by Table 1019.1 based on the occupant load of the story, except as modified in Section 1015.1 or 1019.2. For the purposes of this chapter, occupied roofs shall be provided with exits as required for stories. The required number of exits from any story, basement or individual space shall be maintained until arrival at grade or the public way.
B.O. replied that he's taking the more stringent route and requiring we provide 2 exits or move the single exit to the middle of the space, meeting the 25' distance requirement.

---

Would you consider the space as a "building"?

If not, how should I inform the building official that he's an idiot?

FYI - Municipality is a small town, population under 70K.

Thanks.

I believe you comply with 1015.1 and Table 1015.1. I would call it a space. I have never met the building official so I have no comment on how you inform them you "think" they're an "idiot," that's up to you.

Builder Bob said:
Without knowing what the intend ed use of this space or the types of HAzmat involved, I cannnot give an answer.
Sorry.

I guess I forgot to mention it was H-3.

High Desert said:
I believe you comply with 1015.1 and Table 1015.1. I would call it a space. I have never met the building official so I have no comment on how you inform them you "think" they're an "idiot," that's up to you.
Thanks.

Funny, I guess you understood it was an H-3 occupancy.

---

Also should point out (though it's obvious) we're well within Table 1016.1's 150' exit access travel distance requirement.

You have to look at Section 1014.3, which limits the common path of egress travel to 25 feet in H-3. With one exit and a room that is at least 37 feet long, you've exceeded that distance.

RLGA said:
You have to look at Section 1014.3, which limits the common path of egress travel to 25 feet in H-3. With one exit and a room that is at least 37 feet long, you've exceeded that distance.
I believe that is only required when there are two or more exits available to egress from along an exit path.

Definition:

COMMON PATH OF EGRESS TRAVEL. That portion of exit access which the occupants are required to traverse before two separate and distinct paths of egress travel to two exits are available. Paths that merge are common paths of travel. Common paths of egress travel shall be included within the permitted travel distance.
The number of exits is defined elsewhere.

The exit access travel distance is defined in 1016.

If/When there would be 2+ exits required, then I could design exit path(s) to comply with 1014.3.

Thanks.

I think RLGA is right. Once you exceed the CPET you need to be able to have access to two separate exits. Section 1015.1, Item 2 says you have to have two exits when "The common path of egress travel exceeds the limitations of Section 1014.3." Section 1014.3 limits an H-3 to 25 feet for CPET.

The intent of CPET is to set limits on how far one must travel in different occupancies before they need two distinct paths of travel to an exit.

Looks like you have to meet the 25 feet max, but can you put the door where you want it as long as you meet the 25,

Sounds like the Bo is enforcing the minimum code

High Desert said:
I think RLGA is right. Once you exceed the CPET you need to be able to have access to two separate exits. Section 1015.1, Item 2 says you have to have two exits when "The common path of egress travel exceeds the limitations of Section 1014.3." Section 1014.3 limits an H-3 to 25 feet for CPET.
But how do you determine the number of exits required?

The definition of COMMON PATH OF EGRESS TRAVEL is based on 2 exits already provided.

Post #2:

cda said:
Do not have the book. Are H's required to have two exits??
---

Post #11:

cda said:
Looks like you have to meet the 25 feet max, but can you put the door where you want it as long as you meet the 25, ...
So ...

Is that based on you still not having the book?

Sounds like the Bo is enforcing the minimum code
Which is fine, if he's enforcing it correctly.

alora said:
But how do you determine the number of exits required?The definition of COMMON PATH OF EGRESS TRAVEL is based on 2 exits already provided.
You need to become familiar with CPET--read the definition in Section 1002 (See my article on travel distance, which covers CPET: http://www.specsandcodes.com/Articles/The%20Code%20Corner%20No.%2029%20-%20Travel%20Distance.pdf).

If CPET is exceeded, either the exit needs to be relocated so the CPET is within the maximum or a second exit or exit access door is required. That is the reason why Table 1019.2 limits the travel distance to 25 feet for a building with one exit--to keep in line with the CPET requirements.

No, the common path of egress travel is not based on already having (2) exits. The common path of egress travel for an H-3 is 25 feet. As long as there is no point in that room where you have to travel more than 25 feet to an exit and the occupant load does not exceed 3, you only have to have (1) exit. Once your CPET exceeds that 25 feet, then you must have access to (2) exits. The definition bears that out saying "That portion of exit access which the occupants are required to traverse before two separate and distinct paths of travel to two exits are available."

Please read Section 1015.1, Item 2 again. That says you need (2) exits when CPET is exceeded.

In your case, you determine the number of exits for spaces in accordance with Section 1015.1 and CPET, which 1015.1 refers you to in Item 2.

I believe the operative words in the definition for CPET are "traverse before". The proposed design described asks the (3) occupants to traverse 37'-4" before reaching an exit.

RLGA said:
...If CPET is exceeded, either the exit needs to be relocated so the CPET is within the maximum or a second exit or exit access door is required. That is the reason why Table 1019.2 limits the travel distance to 25 feet for a building with one exit--to keep in line with the CPET requirements.
Table 1019.2 has to do with buildings.

This is a space.

High Desert said:
No, the common path of egress travel is not based on already having (2) exits. The common path of egress travel for an H-3 is 25 feet. As long as there is no point in that room where you have to travel more than 25 feet to an exit and the occupant load does not exceed 3, you only have to have (1) exit. Once your CPET exceeds that 25 feet, then you must have access to (2) exits. The definition bears that out saying "That portion of exit access which the occupants are required to traverse before two separate and distinct paths of travel to two exits are available."Please read Section 1015.1, Item 2 again. That says you need (2) exits when CPET is exceeded.

In your case, you determine the number of exits for spaces in accordance with Section 1015.1 and CPET, which 1015.1 refers you to in Item 2.
You're missing the rest of the definition.

Common paths of egress travel shall be included within the permitted travel distance.
Permitted travel distance is 150' max, per Table 1016.1.

I have approximately 40'+ travel distance from the furthest corner of the space.

alora said:
Permitted travel distance is 150' max, per Table 1016.1.

I have approximately 40'+ travel distance from the furthest corner of the space.
You're misinterpreting it. What it means is that of the 150-foot travel distance, 25 feet of that could be the CPET. Thus, from the most remote point of the room, an occupant can only have 25 feet to the point where at least two distinct paths to two separate exits are required. If the maximum CPET is used, then, from that point, an occupant should have a maximum of 125 feet to reach at least one exit.

RLGA said:
The CPET applies to both spaces and buildings.
Correct. But it's the wrong application here.

This space leads directly to the exterior.

Exit access in this case, is the doorway to the exterior. In effect, it's a 7" long route (concrete tilt-up panel depth).

EXIT ACCESS. That portion of a means of egress system that leads from any occupied portion of a building or structure to an exit.
Well under the 25' requirement of CPET:

COMMON PATH OF EGRESS TRAVEL. That portion of exit access which the occupants are required to traverse before two separate and distinct paths of egress travel to two exits are available. Paths that merge are common paths of travel. Common paths of egress travel shall be included within the permitted travel distance.

Look at the definition for exit access that you posted and focus on the portion that reads "from an occupied portion of a building or structure." The occupied portion of your "space" is at the far end of the room; therefore, the exit access starts at the most remote point of a space and ends at an exit.

RLGA said:
...; therefore, the exit access starts at the most remote point of a space and ends at an exit.
The key is that there is one path.

The CPET definition says specifically that:

...Paths that merge are common paths of travel. ...
One path = no CPET = 150' max allowable travel distance.