• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Habitat for Humanity builds first LEED home in N.C.

mark handler

SAWHORSE
Habitat for Humanity builds first LEED home in N.C.

Home will substantially reduce water, energy costs for owner

http://www.housingzone.com/cb/article/habitat-humanity-builds-first-leed-home-nc

By Todd Loesch, Housing Zone Contributing Editor

November 19, 2010

The North Carolina chapter of Our Towns Habitat for Humanity has built the organization’s first LEED-certified green home, according to The Charlotte Observer.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/11/16/1832799/habitat-builds-first-eco-friendly.html

The home was built for Wendy Roberson, a divorced single mother of two who couldn’t afford rent or a mortgage.

“When I come home after work, it’s my house. It’s not a rental home, it’s mine,” she said. “I have accomplished on of my life’s goals: To own my own home. It’s so nice to know that when you come home, you’re in your own home.”

Manny Rosado, a site supervisor for Habitat for Humanity, said that while building an average home produces about three pounds of waste per square foot, LEED-certified homes only produce about one pound.

I think this is just plain wrong. I'm all for building green and building to LEED standards is great, but why spend the money to get certified on a habitat home. Put that money into the next home!

The "home" in the articles above will be demolished long before its service life is over. Butt ugly and too small are not green. People do not typically live in one house for over a decade. Designs incompatible with the surroundings or with a reasonably comfortable life will not survive long enough to earn the label of "green". Keep an eye on the remodel, it'll get remuddelled back up within the decade... there was a net savings.

I withdrew from a proposed residential project with some well intentioned folks not long ago. Their intent was to build green and demonstrate to the locals how good it can be. The design is too small to be functional for a full time residence. It cannot be expanded without major rework. They refused designs that could be expanded to create a reasonable full time residence. They installed PV panels yet refused to tie them to the "bad" grid. They will use the power produced by these panels less than 10% of the time... they will never pay back the power that was required to produce them. They'll grow tired of it in time and move on, someone will buy the property for the view. Long story short, affluent, narrow minded, well meaning fools just built another scraper.

DRP said:
The "home" in the articles above will be demolished long before its service life is over. Butt ugly and too small are not green. People do not typically live in one house for over a decade. Designs incompatible with the surroundings or with a reasonably comfortable life will not survive long enough to earn the label of "green". Keep an eye on the remodel, it'll get remuddelled back up within the decade... there was a net savings.I withdrew from a proposed residential project with some well intentioned folks not long ago. Their intent was to build green and demonstrate to the locals how good it can be. The design is too small to be functional for a full time residence. It cannot be expanded without major rework. They refused designs that could be expanded to create a reasonable full time residence. They installed PV panels yet refused to tie them to the "bad" grid. They will use the power produced by these panels less than 10% of the time... they will never pay back the power that was required to produce them. They'll grow tired of it in time and move on, someone will buy the property for the view. Long story short, affluent, narrow minded, well meaning fools just built another scraper.
I couldn't agree more with you in theory, but I LIKE the habitate house

What a terribly shortsighted thing to do to HFH families. Not only is the house a-- ugly, it sets the Habitat family apart from the more conventional homes and those who reside in them. The goal should be to have the Habitat families and their homes blend in with neighboring properties.

incognito said:
The goal should be to have the Habitat families and their homes blend in with neighboring properties.
Oh, but why do that when you can use the occupants as lab rats for the design de jour?

Social engineering under the guise of social welfare...