• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Halloween dance in warehouse

Arcal

Bronze Member
In my jurisdiction I am required to sign off on all dance permits (large events within the city). Last week I was given a permit to allow a halloween dance (900 people -18 and up with alcohol - 10pm Wed. to 8am Thurs.) in a old fabricating, totally open, building. The building is located in an industrial zone and the LARGE building next door is being demolished. I denied the permit but pressure from above, which I don't bow to, wanted me to let the applicant know what needs to be done to make the building conform. The building is 7,900 sq.ft., is Type N construction and sprinklered. The building received a sign off for structural, as per chapter 34 and it met the numbers for Means of Egress, General Safety and Fire Safety as required by the same chapter (only after the second exit was cut in). I have required the following, but want to make sure I have covered everything. Here is what they must provide: They have three exits and the third door must be removed because they cannot provide exit hardware. The main exit is a 15' sliding door that has to remain locked in the open position. The second exit is a hole cut into the side of the building, 7.5 feet wide with a ramp and landing to the outside. The exit ways must be lit all the way to the public way. The second exit is for emergencies only. Exit signs and emergency lighting must be over every door. Smoke detectors must be provided throughout the building. As you can see I have used the existing building code chapter, but still don't have a good feeling about it. My concerns are more about the location than the building itself, but my director said that is not my concern. I guess he is right, but I don't like having my name on the document. Do you see anything I might have missed, or have any other suggestions?

By the way as of this morning the Fire Marshal refused to sign the permit. The police chief wants it out there because it gets the kids out of town.

He came in a few minutes ago and said that I need not sign it. That was a change from an hour ago.

+ + +

Posting of some fire watches at the dance, with you being

reimbursed for all the expenses...

+ + +

Welcome to the Board

Limit decorations most are combustible

How are they providing/preparing food and drinks?

Require a fire watch.

Security and crowd control?

18 and up with alcohol
The police chief wants it out there because it gets the kids out of town
Sounds like he has his own interest at heart

Adequate plumbing facilities (porta-potty?)

Temporary and stage wiring inspections?

Smoking areas and ventilation?

Is it a single story and will barricades and guards be necessary?

EMT?

Francis

The decorations are limited, the drinks - who knows, the fire department will not provide a fire watch and they are to have security placed all around the parking area, the partly demolished buildings and the event and I believe the fire juggling event will be "cancelled", wait to see what really happens. The latest turn of events is that the sprinkler system is dry and no one knows where to turn on the valve. It might be in the middle of the demolition project.

Here in Ca the activity isn't a dance, it's a rave.

Kids drop like flies from too much ecstasy, or is it outrageous fun.

900 people drinking and drugs from 10 PM to 8 AM.

And a permit is required to make it legal.

Drifters should take notice.

Not enough exits !!!

Emergency lights??

A one kill button to shut off sound bring up lights

Fire watch and police presence

Play them the Rhode Island video

Not an existing building code person

But this is not considered change of occupancy

Toilet facilities?

Parking?

Sprinklers in service with current inspection.

Nearby construction site fenced off.

Ok but

107.2 Conformance. Temporary uses shall conform to the structural strength, fire safety, means of egress, accessibility, light, ventilation and sanitary requirements of this code as necessary to ensure the public health, safety and general welfare.

Thanks for all of your responses. As of this morning the Fire Marshal was notified that the sprinkler system is not functioning and the event manager says there is no way to make it work. To me that says it all.

= =

Arcal,

There IS a way for it to work!.....It appears that they do not

want to spend the monies necessary to increase the safeguards

for the planned drunk fest.

$ $

cda - That is the ten millon dollar question and the concern of the council. It just might happen at this site, but without the approval of the City. I went to the site this morning and nothing has been done and I have not heard from the event manager.

Arcal said:
Thanks for all of your responses. As of this morning the Fire Marshal was notified that the sprinkler system is not functioning and the event manager says there is no way to make it work. To me that says it all.
Fire is the HEAVY again

Arcal said:
Greetings

That would be a deal killer IMO

BS

My director final agreed to deny the dance permit. The fire marshal contacted the Deputy State Fire Marshal who agreed with us that the site was not appropriate. It helps to have the fire department on your side.