• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Hand Dryer Clear Floor Space Overlap with Stall Door

nmurphy

Any thoughts on the permissibility of the 30x48 hand dryer clear floor space overlapping the maneuvering clearance of an ADA stall door of a multi-fixture restroom? The hand dryer is recessed so not a protruding object and the device itself does not impede the door maneuvering clearance. However the clear floor space for the dryer and door overlap.

I suspect this comes down to an interpretation of ANSI 603.2.3 and whether or not a hand dryer is a "fixture".

603.2.3 Door Swing
Doors shall not swing into the clear floor space or clearance required for any fixture. Doors shall be permitted to swing into the required turning space.

I understand that this is not the most desirable layout but it's looking like the best option assuming it meets code and ADA.

What interpretation? That's about as clear as it gets. No, you cannot have your door swing into the clear space (unless you meet one of the two exceptions).

@ = @

nmurphy, ...Welcome to The Building Codes Forum ! :)

I would interpret the Hand Dryer as an appliance vs.
a fixture, and therefore, ...allow it !

@ = @

@ = @

nmurphy, ...Welcome to The Building Codes Forum ! :)

I would interpret the Hand Dryer as an appliance vs.
a fixture, and therefore, ...allow it !

@ = @
The designer (and contractor and owner) would get sued the first time someone in a wheelchair using the hand drier has a door slam into them.

Also, this is federal law and unless you work for the DOJ, you have no jurisdiction to allow or disallow.

In this scenario the 30x48 clear floor space overlaps the door maneuvering clearance BUT not the door swing itself. I understand the practical drawbacks and jurisdictional issues at play. For the answer to be obvious it depends on whether a hand dryer is a fixture or not since that is the terminology used throughout ADA/ANSI but not specifically defined.

The dryer is a fixture. Code says "door swing", not "maneuvering clearance". Sorry I misread, as long as the door swing does not go into the clear space you are fine.

Where does your definition of "fixtures" stop? To me and my understanding of the code for bathrooms there are only fixtures, compartments and accessories.
You are right door swing is issue, not maneuvering.
I think hand blow dryer is "603.5 Accessories". Not req'd but advisable to provide door swing clearance. Caveat emptor. Now if you put a window in the compartment door at ADA height, there might be a good argument for swinging into fixture space.
Fixtures are primary function elements required to make it a legal toilet room, dedicated and not movable, integral to user experience.
DOJ is not dumb enough to write code that puts the public at risk or the building owner at risk of a lawsuit for complying with law. But, they also know that it is a slippery slope to try to call out all possible potentialities, not to mention the practicality of it all. This code language lets them get by with minimums (as all codes do) by calling out the primary functions and puts the risk for "Accessories" back on the owner (and designer!). If owner wants a blow dryer, DOJ don't care, but BTW if it is in conflict with door swing, then owner assumes all risk if occurs. Clear floor space to blow dryer can be achieved by side approach or no blower at all and just drop down from ceiling or by hand maiden. "Whatevah bldg owner, go do what you want. But get a lawyer if you are dumb enough to put occupants directly in harms way." And then, to show it on a set of plans.

There is NO code that requires electric hand dryers OR paper towel dispensers in a toilet room. Hand dryers are accessories, not fixtures. The door swing can, IMHO, swing over/into the clear space for a hand dryer.