• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Hand Rails on Exterior Stairs? 1 or 2?

AlexAndErika

I am going to add a continuuous PVC handrail to the inside of these stair railings. Is one enough or do I need two handrails? Do I need a second hand rail on the stucco wall?

Also the spacing under the bottom railing, what is the proper spacing under the rail and top of the stringer? The inspector was out for a seperate inspector and started grumbling about the space. He was mentioniong 4" but I thought it was a large 6" round or something that could fit in this opening? Please advise.

Thank you

PXL_20240426_192639473.jpg

Residential code will allow one graspable continuous handrail between 34-38 inches measured vertically from the nose of the tread.
Space below the bottom spindle rail, step and riser (The triangle) should be no larger than 6-inches.
Inspection from afar, your spindle spacing appears to more than 4-inches.

Hope this helps!

Also the spacing under the bottom railing, what is the proper spacing under the rail and top of the stringer? The inspector was out for a seperate inspector and started grumbling about the space. He was mentioniong 4" but I thought it was a large 6" round or something that could fit in this opening? Please advise.
Space below the bottom spindle rail, step and riser (The triangle) should be no larger than 6-inches.

Page 17 of this PDF shows a diagram of the 6”, rest of the document has tons of other information regarding residential stairs you might find helpful.

Think it would be easier to mount a new continuous handrail on the building wall, not he guardrail assembly.