• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Handrail safety terminal

jpowell

Bronze Member
Hi all. I've only posted a couple times, but lurk here from time to time. I am in Idaho, and we are on the 2018 IRC with a few revisions.

What in the world is a "safety terminal"? I'm sure everyone here is familiar with the code section. R311.7.8.4
Code says the handrail ends shall be returned or shall terminate in newel posts or safety terminals. I'm assuming it is supposed to be some sort of industry standard lingo since there is no definition in the code. I also assume it is supposed to be similar to terminating in a post because of the context.

I have tended to think of a safety terminal as a bulbous end cap that would help prevent a pocket from catching, or help stop a hand from sliding off the end during a slip.

Does anyone have advice, besides simply ignoring that portion of the code?

Thanks!
John in Idaho

Hi all. I've only posted a couple times, but lurk here from time to time. I am in Idaho, and we are on the 2018 IRC with a few revisions.

What in the world is a "safety terminal"? I'm sure everyone here is familiar with the code section. R311.7.8.4
Code says the handrail ends shall be returned or shall terminate in newel posts or safety terminals. I'm assuming it is supposed to be some sort of industry standard lingo since there is no definition in the code. I also assume it is supposed to be similar to terminating in a post because of the context.

I have tended to think of a safety terminal as a bulbous end cap that would help prevent a pocket from catching, or help stop a hand from sliding off the end during a slip.

Thanks!
John in Idaho
It is the D-shaped loop at the end.

Like this -
1701275752818.png

Just a note that the "D" at the bottom is not an IBC (or IRC) requirement....Just the "in plane" extension and then it could terminate down....IMO IRC has no extension requirements..

Just a note that the "D" at the bottom is not an IBC (or IRC) requirement....Just the "in plane" extension and then it could terminate down....IMO IRC has no extension requirements..

Correct. A very long time ago the requirement at the bottom of stairs was that the handrail had to extend on the incline for a distance equal to one tread width, PLUS one foot on the horizontal. That one foot horizontal "extension of the extension" went away several code cycles back, but that's what this illustration is showing.

Agreed. My answer was directed at answering the question of what a safety terminal is (it is the D-shaped return). Safety terminals are most commonly used in commercial and multifamily residential (falls under commercial code) where extension of the handrail is required. Other returns are acceptable, such as those pictured below.

1701277373184.png

Well John, I Google it and found no authoritative definition of a safety terminal. I checked several forums where the participants are equally flummoxed.

R311.7.8.4 Continuity. Handrails shall be continuous for the full length of the flight, from a point directly above the top riser of the flight to a point directly above the lowest riser of the flight. Handrail ends shall be returned or shall terminate in newel posts or safety terminals.

The Code provides the answer. There are three choices. 1. Returned. 2. Newel post. 3. Any other termination that is a safe terminal. The inspector that's charged with approving the safety terminal is the final arbiter ... you can bet some will arbitrarily turn it down.

Last edited:
So what is a safety terminal.

From June of 1998 - October of 2017 when you goggled safety terminal you were direct to a website that the firm I worked for prior displayed and showed multiple types of Safety terminals. Upon ARI's doors closing and that website being dissolved there was as source, that all went away in the fall of 2017. You also need to remember that this was in prior codes before even the model IRC for 1 and 2 family dwellings since the first model publication in 2000 and continued through 2018, it did not make the IBC because of ADA & A117.1.

In the 2021 IRC Steven Thomas from Colorado had it removed because there was no definable reference and he felt, there was no need and its removal would not affect any change in enforcement. The code change was RB115-19 if you feel like doing some deeper research and then reviewing the video testimony the ICC has on file.

The types on terminals that the custom metal handrail industry found mainly associated with this terminology prior to 1998 and for over 19 years following were mainly metal terminations in the following configurations:

ET-02.jpg ET-15.jpgET-03.jpgET-18.jpg

There are many more types, I would post more, but the forum only allows 4 pictures per post, and again mainly ornamental in nature and metal, but the key was to provide a termination that was not a clothing catcher or if an individual fell and hit it, it would not impale them I guess you could say. It was a catch all phrase per say that an inspector had room for a wide birth interpretation.

As for a "P" type commercial termination, though some may argue they believe this is it, the word "safety terminal", can be found in many decades' old world design sketch books post WWI showing in one form or another a version of the 4 pictures above and not the commercially found "P" loop which is a return to a post or guard post.

I Know that there are those of the last 25 years that will argue differently, but the hundreds or thousand or so books in the Metal Museum in Memphis, TN, will and do provide context to the lost terminology.

Cheer's - Tom

Thanks all for the efforts. I am a building official and an architect (don't hate me! ;) ) My takeaway so far is that we really don't know what a "safety terminal" is. I agree with the thoughts from the posters on the intent behind it. I think it is an archaic term, not in a bad way, but a term that was once common but is not common anymore. I don't think "safety terminal" is referencing a handrail return to the wall, because that is already covered in the same sentence of code.

Running with tbz's post, I found this website: https://customironworks.com/handrails-steel-c-9/end-terminals-c-9_54/ Which shows handrail terminals. It would make sense that the code is referencing a type of terminal, a safety terminal. So, without a good code definition or standard use of the term these days, it seems that it would be up the building official to decide if the terminal is "safe."

Any of the above or a rerun to the wall, die into the casing at the top of the stairs.

My take, a tactile notice the the stairs are ending

Thanks!
John in Idaho
In a Code class i was in, back IN THE DAY, the reason was open ends Catch & snag loose clothing and cuffs, including firefighters turn outs.
Some handrails are designed and built so that they catch a firefighters turn outs, person's clothing, handbag, or briefcase strap, contributing to a fall.

1701357653451.png
1701357975039.png

Last edited:
The D (drawing (b) in ClassicT's post) is necessary for cane detection of a protruding object if it projects into a path of travel. The floor extension in Mark Handler's post would need a horizontal bar no higher than 27".

Kind of funny because 2024 IBC I think picks up max. 1/4" gap at a return, but the min safety loop is not addressed other than you can cite it as a protrusion if it does not go below 27" per IBC 1003.3.3

Kind of funny because 2024 IBC I think picks up max. 1/4" gap at a return, but the min safety loop is not addressed other than you can cite it as a protrusion if it does not go below 27" per IBC 1003.3.3
The 27" maximum has always been tied to the Protruding Objects sections of the code and not in the handrail section specifically.

A little bit information is that the termination of handrails where not speared on because of issues in buildings or homes, I came from a huge issue on School Buses with kids getting caught on the handrail loops entering and exiting the bus.

Don't forget the original question is an IRC question, not IBC. ;)

R311.7.8.4 Continuity​

Diagram
Handrails shall be continuous for the full length of the flight, from a point directly above the top riser of the flight to a point directly above the lowest riser of the flight. Handrail ends shall be returned toward a wall, guard walking surface continuous to itself, or terminate to a post.

So what is a safety terminal.

From June of 1998 - October of 2017 when you goggled safety terminal you were direct to a website that the firm I worked for prior displayed and showed multiple types of Safety terminals. Upon ARI's doors closing and that website being dissolved there was as source, that all went away in the fall of 2017. You also need to remember that this was in prior codes before even the model IRC for 1 and 2 family dwellings since the first model publication in 2000 and continued through 2018, it did not make the IBC because of ADA & A117.1.

In the 2021 IRC Steven Thomas from Colorado had it removed because there was no definable reference and he felt, there was no need and its removal would not affect any change in enforcement. The code change was RB115-19 if you feel like doing some deeper research and then reviewing the video testimony the ICC has on file.

The types on terminals that the custom metal handrail industry found mainly associated with this terminology prior to 1998 and for over 19 years following were mainly metal terminations in the following configurations:

View attachment 12109 View attachment 12110View attachment 12106View attachment 12107

There are many more types,

None of those are even code-compliant handrails. Those are decorative guards, at best (or worst).

A little bit information is that the termination of handrails where not speared on because of issues in buildings or homes, I came from a huge issue on School Buses with kids getting caught on the handrail loops entering and exiting the bus.
Fire Fighters still have to use handrails in homes.....

None of those are even code-compliant handrails. Those are decorative guards, at best (or worst).
So Yankee,

Please explain how you believe none of the posted handrail terminations you flagged are not compliant with the IRC and specifically highlighting prior to 2021 model IRC and post 2021, Remember the OP is asking about 2018 IRC.

For the record, none of the pictures were on flights that required guards.