• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Handrail wall Encasement

tbz

Silver Member
Good morning All,

1st: Does this comply in your view within the IBC?

2nd: What dimension do you hold to allow handrail access?

Picture below - figure it meets the 20% of A117.1 & ADA for 505 20% requirement.

RecessedHR.PNG

What is the dimension between the top of the gripping surface and the overhang. I don’t care for the sharp corner on the overhang.

1014.7 Clearance. Clear space between a handrail and a wall or other surface shall be not less than 1-1/2 inches. A handrail and a wall or other surface adjacent to the handrail shall be free of any sharp or abrasive elements.

An argument could be made that set in the wall is not 1-1/2 inches away from the wall. A person that's lost their balance and tries to catch themselves with the handrail might not be able to do that with the configuration as shown. Perhaps the 1-1/2 inches is only for finger clearance and that makes sense too

Last edited:
This brings up an interesting point. Handrails do not have a clearance requirement for above, but grab bars do (ICC/ANSI A117.1- section 609.3)

Exactly, I am submitting a code change proposal to address that. Have an example of a handrail set back 4" from the edge of the stringer.

I have "had" people do similar when the built guard is too low, put the HR on top to act as the guard...I am sure there are some ergonomic studies to say how far out is too far, but I haven't run into anything I am uncomfortable with yet...

Exactly, I am submitting a code change proposal to address that. Have an example of a handrail set back 4" from the edge of the stringer.

CANNOT FIND ANYTHING IN 2010 ADASAD TO PREVENT IT

THIS IS IN THE CA CODE, FOR RESIDENTAL ACCESSIBILITY

1601299824163.png

THIS USED TO BE IN THE CODE FOR ALL ACCESSIBILITY
1601299966489.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Great Question and replies!!

I love it when someone asks a code question and it reveals another code that has changed and I wasn't aware of the change or deletion. Maybe the code change wasn't brought up in a code change class, or for other organic reasons I've forgotten? Mark's answer and graphics got me to looking back at my old ADA Code reference materials. Thank you!

The language for recessed handrails appears to still be applicable per ADAAG and the Federal Standards.