• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Handrails Past Stairs?

Wmwd27

My local inspector said that the front step handrails need to extend past the front of the stairs by 12”. None of the other homes in our neighborhood have that, and it will look ridiculous. Not to mention that we would have to dig up our yard and put posts in concrete in the middle of grass, messing up our sprinklers. But, he is insisting. We are a single story, single family residence. Is that true? I thought CA code says that’s not true for private homes. Any help would be appreciated.

2022 CALIFORNIA RESIDENTIAL CODE R311.7.8.1 Height​
Handrail height, measured vertically from the sloped plane adjoining the tread nosing, or finish surface of ramp slope, shall be not less than 34 inches (864 mm) and not more than 38 inches (965 mm).​
Exceptions:
The use of a volute, turnout or starting easing shall be allowed over the lowest tread.

Under the CRC, That BASICALLY means you can end the rail at the last tread, it is not explicitly in the code
Under the CBC (not Single family) you are required to extend it.

Have the inspector tell you a code section that required the extension. If he/she is using the CBC, he/she is using the wrong code.

Typically not required for single family unless Vegas does something weird....how many stairs are there?
That is what I thought. I know it says I am in Vegas, but the house is in CA. It has 4 stairs, so I know I do need a rail. (Grrr, that one extra stair.)

2022 CALIFORNIA RESIDENTIAL CODE R311.7.8.1 Height​
Handrail height, measured vertically from the sloped plane adjoining the tread nosing, or finish surface of ramp slope, shall be not less than 34 inches (864 mm) and not more than 38 inches (965 mm).​
Exceptions:
The use of a volute, turnout or starting easing shall be allowed over the lowest tread.

Under the CRC, That BASICALLY means you can end the rail at the last tread, it is not explicitly in the code
Under the CBC (not Single family) you are required to extend it.

Have the inspector tell you a code section that required the extension. If he/she is using the CBC, he/she is using the wrong code.
Thank you!

My guess is that the inspector is getting confused on what codes apply to your project. CBC 1115A.6.2.3 has the 12" handrail extension requirement, but Ch11A shouldn't apply to a single family home (the project is not a "covered multifamily dwelling"). That, or they think this is public housing for some reason, which would trigger CBC Ch11B requirements.

As Mark noted above, there is nothing in CRC that would require a handrail extension. There should be no confusion given the very straightforward language of these code sections, unless the inspector knows something none of us do...