• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Handsoff Phone in existing elevators

M

mia

Is there any requirement to install a new "handsoff" phone system in existing elevators if the one you have has braille markings? There are braille markings on the door to the phone and inside the cabinet next to the phone. This is for a commercial office building occupied by our employees.

Thanks, Mia

no reply needed-I spoke to the state elevator division and got the skinny

Hi North Star-so glad you asked!

I was asked whether we were required to put handsfree elevator phones in some of the older elevators that have a handset only. We were approached by a vendor. I spoke to the state elevator division and he stated that it wasn't necessary unless the elevators were being upgraded, but the AHJ may come through and require the phones to be ada compliant. Good answer-he kept it simple for me. Well,,,,I made the mistake of looking into the issue further and now my head hurts. This isnt so much about ADA, as an IBC compliance issue. 2006 IBC requires elevators to comply with ASME A17.1, our AHJ uses 2009 IBC. Could the AHJ come through and require this upgrade? Does it matter when the elevators were put in (grandfathered)? Thanks Mia

3401.2 Maintenance.

Buildings and structures, and parts thereof, shall be maintained in a safe and sanitary condition. Devices or safeguards which are required by this code shall be maintained in conformance with the code edition under which installed.

They building code in not a retroactive code. The IFC has some retro lanquage but not what you are questioning in this post

As for your head hurting my wife uses Excedrin Tension headache for her migraines. Works real well,

Sooo,,if it met the code under which it was installed it's good? The headache was code driven-Thanks!

= = =

mia,

Thanks for the update and your input!

There are alot of members and visitors on this Forum, and

your information and questions can help others who only

want to visit & view without the participation.

I hope that you will tell others about this valuable resource

and continue to join in the various topics and discussions.

This Forum is waaaaaaayyyy cool !

As for your topic, it sounds as though you are compliant,

...at least until the next "requirement" comes along. :D

FWIW, ...generic Ibuprofen works purdy well for me!

+ + +

Hi North Star,

I'm sooo glad I found this forum!:banghd

Thanks, Mia