• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Hangers?

DSCN0015.jpg

Re: Hangers?

Wouldn't they be redundant with that ledger board in place?

Exactly what size nails did they use on the joists... there seems to be a lot of them... :?:

Old school, I have not seen floor decking in a long time. IRC 502. XX Joist ends shall bear on not less than 1.5 inches of bearing wood or metal not less than 3 inches. If the ledger is properly attached I don’t see a problem.

The 2"x4" is not a ledger. It was there to support the 4x while it gets nailed. The plan called for hangers. The pipe was abandoned and to be removed.

Tiger, does anybody know how to build anything right in your area?

Would you accept pressure blocks?

Mule,

I get plenty of correct construction and too much wrong construction. For the last few weeks I have averaged 20 inspections a day; as many as 24. So for sure I will run into the strange and bizarre on a few each day. No complaints from me as it keeps the job interesting. I'm not a big fan of pressure blocks because wood shrinks and besides that, the plan spec. hangers.

If the plans called for joist hangers and they chose not to install them, and now have installed this [ what

looks like a compliant ledger board ], I too do not see a problem, except (1) the nails into the 4x's look

too small, and (2) the notched area at the gas pipe.

Am I missing something tiger ? :?:

BTW, I for one enjoy all of your submitted pics. Keep `em coming! ;)

tigerloose said:
The 2"x4" is not a ledger. It was there to support the 4x while it gets nailed. The plan called for hangers. The pipe was abandoned and to be removed.

Tiger,

Is it possible the floor joist spacing is to close and the framer can't get the joist hanger nails installed? Poor excuse I know!

If the temp. ledger is removed the framer needs additional studs below the top plates at those end joints! It looks like the wall holds the rim up, no bolts in picture!

I'm with fatboy. If the plan called for hangers, require them. Or, if the ledger is properly attached, require a plan addendum.

Pcinspector,

The 4''x12''s are 12'' O/C but a palm nailer will do the trick. The wall below the 4''x12'' ledger is an infill for the purpose of supporting drywall only. There were bolts but not enough. If there was to be a ledger supporting a large floor I don't think it would be a 2''x4''. At best there would be 2-16d at each stud. 2''x10'' would allow 5-16d.