• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Hardware Mounting Height

LGreene

This question has been coming up quite a bit lately, so I wrote about it on my blog today: http://idighardware.com/2017/03/qq-accessible-mounting-height/

It's actually 2 questions...for a long pull handle that is not installed completely within the allowable mounting range for hardware, how much of the pull should be within the 34-48" range?

And the second part is related to access control components on a piece of hardware...do the keypad, push buttons, etc., all have to be within the allowable range, or are they exempt because of the exception in the IBC for "locks used only for security purposes"?

I'd love your input.

For a pull, I would think something like 4"....Enough to hook a fist on methinks....For the access control, I would have to look more at that, my gut says that if most people use it, then it would have to be accessible (or it would be discriminatory). Security in that sense to me is a guard or when the building is being left vacant for the night or whatever, not for use when the building is occupied...

I guess the answer to me, would a reasonable person find them usable and accessible.

Lawyers seem to cling to that term, reasonable.