• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Has anybody seen these in there area called Pods

did not know toilets had to be listed???

Hazardous area electrical?

No, but I have a banker who, under direction from state historic office, is having to preserve an early 60's building for its retro charm, and said he is looking at an offsite manufactured vault, since the historic structure doesn't meet vault specs.

His design has yet to be submitted.

I have not worked with these Pods, but I have worked with people developing off site constructed housing that utilizes shipping containers. The containers are fully fitted out as dorm rooms, hotel rooms, or small dwelling units and ship to the site for assembly. It is an interesting concept that still has some code issues to work through. There are some container housing installations already installed.

cda said:
did not know toilets had to be listed???Hazardous area electrical?
Yes you are right however I guess I should say what code was the pod inspected under it might not meet the upc code or the ipc code. May be HUDD inspectes them and we can treat them like a trailer home.

BIG HEAD ACHE!

Our small town had two of these Seed Pods what a joke they meet no codes and the house is buit around this thing and what a mess to try to inspect.

Is it new or is it just junk engineering?

The massive A-frame Contemporary Resort hotel at Walt Disney World is instantly recognisable to most visitors. But what most visitors don't know is that the hotel, build by U.S. Steel, is unique in that the rooms were meant to be removable. You see, the hotel's guest rooms were built off site and hoisted and slid into the hotel's A-frame during construction. The idea was that when it was time for an update to the guest rooms they would be slid out and replaced with a new, updated room. However, over the years, the rooms have settled and gotten permanently stuck into the hotel's frame so no rooms have been removed since the hotel's opening (they have, however, been updated the old fashion way; one room at a time and on-site).

Unfortunately, the I-Codes and more importantly the AHJs are accepting any new untried or proven, materials and methods without real proof of meeting the public's need for a safe, secure built enviornment.

Uncle Bob

Have'nt seen them,

Send a few hundred to Haiti, could probably use them there!

Would be nice on a battle field behind the lines.

Last edited by a moderator: