• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Have you adopted 2009 IECC?

barlovian

Bronze Member
I am wondering if any of you have adopted the 2009 IECC yet.

To achieve 90% compliance will required re-education of all of the builders, not to mention the building department staff. It looks like we will have to implement mechanical and electrical reviews and inspections as well as insulation and infiltration inspections.

Where is the money to do this coming from?

Has anyone found web sites or other resources to get educated quickly--and cheaply?

I live in a state that took the stimulus funds, but I haven't seen any movement toward allocating resources to needed meet the energy code requirements that they committed to meet when the goverrnor accepted the money. Are State governments expecting the local jurisdictions will join forces with the greens and step up to the plate to save the day?

The states took the money with the strings attached. Since towns do not have the money to provide the review and inspections and training that are needed to decrease building energy use by 30% I have to wonder how this will get done. I haven't seen the architect's and builders willing to take this on. Are most states just hoping that if everyone ignores it, the energy code will go away? Or, perhaps the big picture is that the permits office will not play much of a role in energy conservation in building construction.

I would rather be part of the solution instead of seeing it passed off to a new branch of government. Does anyone know of cheap training or internet resources?

Re: Have you adopted 2009 IECC?

You can do like our County is doing, you can pocket the money yourselves, the building inspectors can then organize, oversee, and train low wage employees, there is no sense to let the money go to the private sector when the county can pocket the money and keep building inspectors working. Our county is buying blower doors, infrared cameras, and vans to run the program.

BTW, Mike Silva was a building inspector, in 1984 when he was a new inspector he spent several hours per day on a large home I was building, I wonder what he's doing still working 26 years later, all government employees retire early, here anyway.

510 Reports said:
By late spring, thanks to $5 billion of stimulus funding, thousands of new weatherizers similar to Crowe will be sealing up low-income homes in the Bay Area and across the country. They will primarily come from the country’s 1.7 million unemployed construction workers, retrained as lean, greening machines.

These new weatherization hires will be some of the earliest manifestations of stimulus money in local communities. The East Bay will likely receive millions in additional funding, creating scores of new jobs.

County agencies said they expect to begin hiring as early as late April. That timeframe would be “really, really early” for stimulus funding that involves construction and hiring new workers, according to Steve Levy, director of the Center for Continuing Study of the California Economy.

NASCSP estimates that California will receive $192 million over two years, pumping about half a billion dollars into the state’s economy through jobs, suppliers, and other related spending.

Contra Costa’s Silva said because the funding is temporary, new hires will not be full-time county employees; they will be hired on a contract basis. He said cyclical funding has always been problematic for weatherization—they train employees only to have to let them go a year or two later. Silva said the employees leave with training certifications that make them desirable to the local private sector.

Unlike the scramble for other stimulus funds, weatherization money is doled out to states based on an orderly, predetermined formula. It takes into account the size of a state’s low-income population, its climatic conditions, and the financial burden that energy use places on its low-income households. The states, in turn, contract out the actual weatherization work to a network of governmental and nonprofit agencies in each county.¹
¹ http://510report.org/2009/03/11/weather ... -bay-area/

Re: 90% compliance. It will be very difficult in Montana, as there is no inspection of dwellings outside of local jurisdiction. The law still requires the contractor to certify their insulation job, but it does not require them to even read the book. I wonder how the feds will even try to measure 90% compliance.

The state of Illinois adopted it for residential and commercial. I'm sure they took the funds, but I have no idea where they will go. We will do the best we can with another unfunded mandate. We are not going to ignore it.