• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

He Did Not Understand His Assignment

Clearly he didn't read the code:

703.5 Marking and identification. Where there is an accessible concealed floor, floor-ceiling or attic space, fire walls, fire barriers, fire partitions, smoke barriers and smoke partitions
or any other wall required to have protected openings or penetrations shall be effectively and permanently identified with signs or stenciling in the concealed space. Such identification shall:

1. Be located within 15 feet (4572 mm) of the end of each wall and at intervals not exceeding 30 feet (9144 mm) measured horizontally along the wall or partition.

2. Include lettering not less than 3 inches (76 mm) in height with a minimum 3/8-inch (9.5 mm) stroke in a contrasting color incorporating the suggested wording, “FIRE AND/OR SMOKE BARRIER—PROTECT ALL OPENINGS,” or other wording.

Looks like they even notched the track on the wall to work around the yellow cable - they really were dead set on installing it as high as they did.

I would guess that the sprinkler company knew what the intended ceiling height was, it looks like the end of that pipe was set close to the elevation where the primer ends.

Who typically is tasked with this stenciling? Drywall, fire sealant guy or GC?

I don’t think i have seen that style of grid wall angle. Does it automatically create a reveal?