• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Heads up on maintaining gas/oil heating equipment....

Enrgxprt

I started typing this as a question, wondering who else might check but instead rewrote as a heads up..
That said if you want to add to this, please reply..

In a previous life I installed many oil and gas boilers. I always commissioned the equipment as per manuf. install instructions...
In a less previous life I did combustion safety testing on equipment to make sure of proper function before any building shell work was performed and also tested new houses at final..
Im no stranger to verifying #2 smoke or less and making sure the CO is within acceptable range.
I personally have tested brand new gas fired boilers above 2,000 PPM CO. I have seen Oil systems pushing 400 PPM.
Typically in undiluted flue gases we expect LP/NG to be under 100PPM and oil to be under 50 PPM

Now, Im a code official. Im blown away with the lack of knowledge many contractors actually have as far as this goes...
I have found 98% of new installs not tested. I have found 80% of existing systems never tested.

I find at least in my jurisdiction this is considered special knowledge...
The testing location on an oil boiler (needs to be between the boiler and barometric damper).
Many Gas fired boilers have ports by the manuf, but I have never seen this on natural draft equipment...

We all know the PMC requires the owner to maintain the mechanical equipment. My word of advice, a reciept of service is NOT enough.
Inspect the flue to be sure there is evidence of proper commisioning.
Almost ALL burner, boiler and testing equipment manuals specify a holde to be drilled in the flue below the damper.
I can bet you a BEER you will find almost ALL equipment has never been checked !

Boy, talk about the elephant in the room!

Yep, it does seem that "US Old Guys" Think we were better trained and informed then the current generation of Installers. Seems that this generation believes in Google and not a formal Training (Apprenticeship) Program.

I find your use of the word COMMISIONING vs Start-Up interesting

I find it interesting that the emphasis is on Equipment Efficiency when the truth is the SYSTEM Efficiency is more dependent on the ducts and pipes hanging off the Equipment which then, makes it a SYSTEM

How does a Contractor explain to a customer why their new, High Efficiency HVAC Equipment use more electricity than the Old Unit?

Well maybe it is because the new ECM Fan motor is capable of almost a full HP and one inch of Fan pressure and will ramp up trying to deliver that 1200 CFMs you dialed into an undersized duct system where the "Old PSC Motor could only deliver a half-inch of wg and hence way less HP and therefore lower amp draw.

So having someone sell and then change out the equipment without understanding the Principals of Airflow could be the root cause of the situation.

I know it sounds like the Old Guys saying "Well Son, in my day........."
Yep Old Guy talk, OR maybe we aren't doing as good of a job preparing the next generation of Journey People ( Yep our daughters can join the crowd like their Grandmothers who were the Rosie the Riveters of WW2 )

Better stop the Rant and rave before someone complains , Me thinks)

Part 2

Now the real issue, Are Code Officials really supposed to verify that the Proper start-Up procedure were done?

Especially if the the CO could be at the point where people don't wake up the next morning! Talk about our Job as Public Safety?

Several years ago we started requiring basic startup readings to be written on the appliance for final inspection for all gas fired appliances (really no fuel oil used here) due to problems on a few projects. Just the very basics of supply and manifold gas pressures, and temp rise and duct static on forced air furnaces. I was shocked at how many contractors complained that they had to buy more equipment, and even had one guy (self employed OWNER of his own HVAC business!) ask "how do I check temp rise?"!!!!
Apparently I was sheltered by working for responsible contractors before I became an inspector......

Several years ago we started requiring basic startup readings to be written on the appliance for final inspection for all gas fired appliances (really no fuel oil used here) due to problems on a few projects. Just the very basics of supply and manifold gas pressures, and temp rise and duct static on forced air furnaces. I was shocked at how many contractors complained that they had to buy more equipment, and even had one guy (self employed OWNER of his own HVAC business!) ask "how do I check temp rise?"!!!!
Apparently I was sheltered by working for responsible contractors before I became an inspector......
So instead of Helicopter Parents, You had a helicopter Employer who liked to follow the Manufacturer's start-up check list?

If you consider that an employer who actually requires their employees to do their job correctly, then yes! Kind of like I actually required my kids to do their homework and chores.

If you consider that an employer who actually requires their employees to do their job correctly, then yes! Kind of like I actually required my kids to do their homework and chores.
I agree with your POV problem with Employee training is that the smaller contractors are a little conflicted
Way down deep they believe that by upgrading their people's skills, they are developing a future COMPETITOR. They themselves may have done that very thing and figure their people are going to do the same.
So. they complain about how ill-prepared their people are and the most they will do is take advantage of some 2-hour manufacturer's presentation at the Supply House ) that is half sales presentation and low on the fundamentals needed to really understand the application

IMHO. Mike B
PS you'll find my name as one of the current National RSES E&E Committee Members (Education & Evaluation)

Its amazing to me that anyone should complain when asked to do the work they signed up for to begin with.
It takes literally 5 min to verify a system is running correctly. Without the testing equipment you simply cannot tell.
The CEO who retired just after I was hired told me a story of loosing a loved one to carbon monoxide poisoning when he was a kid.
Of on my fellow co workers mentioned how when he was younger his entire family came down with a sickness that turned out to be CO poisoning.

Folks think the CO detector will save them and don't believe that you will get sick before the alarm sounds..
Not to pick on any manufacturer at all, a snipit of specifications from a popular brand...

"the CO sensor will not alarm to levels of CO below 30 ppm and will alarm in the following time range when exposed to the corresponding levels of CO. 70 ppm CO Concentration 60 – 240 minutes 150 ppm CO Concentration 10 – 50 minutes 400 ppm CO Concentration 4 – 15 minutes"

So, Under 70PPM will not sound an alarm...

Part of the testing standards for one nationally accredited building science testing origination

"Ambient CO. Monitor the ambient CO in the breathing zone during the test procedure and abort the
test if ambient CO goes over 35 ppm. Turn off the appliance, ventilate the space, and evacuate the
building."

And, I wrote commissioning as I care much less about efficiency than proper function and occupant safety.
IMO efficiency is a byproduct of doing things correctly.