• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Health Care Facilities

globe trekker

Greetings to you all! :)

QUESTION: What references/standards do you use to assist you in your review of the electrical requirements on the plans [ and

general reference ], of health care facility type projects? " NFPA-99 - Standards for Healthcare Facilities, 2005 Edition

or more recent, "; " The Guidelines for Design and Construction of Healthcare Facilities ", or other?

I'm trying to get an good idea of what standards to purchase for my own library, so that I can expedite the plans review

process of healthcare type facilities, ...the electrical part anyway.

Re: Health Care Facilities

NFPA 101 - 2000 edition. This is the edition formally adopted by CMS / Joint Commission

NFPA 101 - 2003, 2006 and 2009 editions. enforced by local jurisdictions and government

NFPA 110

NFPA 99 - 1999 is the referenced version for 101 - 2000

NFPA 99 - 2005 for up to date information

monitor the CMS website and download their references

monitor the Joint Commission webiste and download their references.

IBC for building code issues

would also say check with local ahj to see if they have any add ons, or use another code on top of 101, 99, and NEC

cda,

Thanks for the references! ;) I work in the AHJ, so I am trying to purchase some reference materials that will

assist me when reviewing plans. I have seen these two sources:

http://www.constructionbook.com/cart2/x ... roduct.htm

and

http://www.constructionbook.com/guideli ... nce-books/

and was wondering if they are worth purchasing. We are under the `08 NEC. I do not have a copy

of the Life Safety Code - 101. I will have to buy the books out of my pocket, but I need them regularly

when doing plan reviews. Unfortunately, any additional code books are NOT on the dept. budget. :eek:

Who said anything about enforcement... ? The codes are merely a suggestion [ as interpreted by the business

owners and contractors ]. :(

For electrical NFPA70 art 517 would seem to be the place to start.

EDIT: I see cda did mention the NEC.

Yes Chris, I have utilized Art. 517 in the past. Mike Holt's forum was & is a BIG help, just like this forum

is continuously! ;)

Did you see the reference that I posted earlier, ...to the CBE, Inc. web site? Are those books worth

purchasing? Do they have a more [ electrically ] concentrated listing of codes and requirements for

the health care facilities, or do I need to buy an NPFA -101 and then continue researching around in

the NEC? :?: