• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Heat detectors in elevator shafts

skipharper

When are heat detectors required in an elevator shaft? I have a 2 story, non sprinkled building which will have a fire alarm system. Thoughts please.

EDIT: Smoke alarms are prohibited in the shaft if unsprinklered (NFPA 72:2002 6.15.3.6)

Which would mean heat detectors are required in your situation. If the elevator is only two stories, I assume there is no smoke hatch (which would allow the smoke detector)

Last edited by a moderator:
The main use of heat detectors in elevator shafts that I know of is to initiate elevator recall in sprinklered buildings to comply with ASME A17.1 par. 2.8.2.3.2, which requires means to automatically disconnect power when sprinklers in the machine room or hoistway are activated. I don't think they would be necessary in an unsprinklered building.

agree with paul sweet, not needed

check 3006.5 ibc 2009 and ibc 2006