• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Heavy Timber Mezzanine in Type 2B

John A. Benton

FBCB 2020

I have an existing mercantile building that is Type 2B, fully sprinkled. It has an existing steel frame mezzanine. I want to add another mezzanine that is heavy timber for the columns and framing and nominal 2x wood decking. It is a boat sales building; the client wants the new mezz. to look like a dock. To maximise space, I want to use Section 505.2.1 Exception 2. which states:

1. The aggregate area of mezzanines in buildings and structures of Type I or II construction shall be not greater than one-half of the floor area of the room in buildings and structures equipped throughout with an approved automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1 and an approved emergency voice/alarm communication system in accordance with Section 907.5.2.2.

My questions:
Can I even use heavy timber for this condition?
If so, does it have to be fire treated wood?

Thanks!

Yes under the 2018 IBC
603.1 Allowable materials.
Combustible materials shall be permitted in buildings of Type I or II construction in the following applications and in accordance with Sections 603.1.1 through 603.1.3:

Exceptions:

19. Heavy timber as permitted by Note c to Table 601 and Sections 602.4.3 and 705.2.3.1.
Table 601 note c
c. In all occupancies, heavy timber complying with Section 2304.11 shall be allowed where a 1-hour or less fire-resistance rating is required.