• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Heel Inlets

Keystone

SAWHORSE
Have a tract home builder, using NJ plumbers in Pa., plumbed all homes using low heel inlets off rear of toilets, opps.

Does the New Jersey Plumbing code differentiate between a high heel inlet and low heel inlet? Question is informational to try and understand the neighbors code and foresee potential issues in the future.

2006 National Plumbing Code

A heel or side-inlet quarter bend shall not be used as a dry vent when the inlet is placed in a horizontal

position or any similar arrangement ofpipe or fittings producing a similar effect.

EXCEPTION: When the entire fitting is part of a dry vent arrangement system the heel or side-inlet bend

shall be acceptable. See Figures 2.4.2-A and 2.4.2-8

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think I understand the references to dry vent....I know we can't use san tees on the horizontal for drainage.....I can't see where a dry vent could ever be an issue...

Is this the answer your question;

Where a vent pipe connects to a horizontal fixture drain branch, and conditions require a horizontal offset in the vent below the flood level rim of the fixture served, the vent shall be taken off so that the invert of the horizontal portion of the vent pipe is at or above the centerline of the horizontal soil or waste pipe.

https://bulk.resource.org/codes.gov/nj_plumbing.pdf

Francis, you hit it on the head. Low heel below centerline, high heel above. Now I can go to Jersey and inspect, lol.

Steveray, the heel creates a shoulder/ledge for the toilet waste to accumulate.

RJJ said:
Is the Heel inlet being used as a vent? or a drainage branch with its own vent beyond and above the toilet bend?
Thanks RJJ for pointing that out.

The NSPC in the drainage section talks about venting;

2.4 FITTINGS AND CONNECTIONS IN DRAINAGE SYSTEMS

2.4.2 Heel or Side-Inlet Bends

A heel or side-inlet quarter bend shall not be used as a dry vent when the inlet is placed in a horizontal

position or any similar arrangement of pipe or fittings producing a similar effect.

EXCEPTION: When the entire fitting is part of a dry vent arrangement system the heel or side-inlet bend

shall be acceptable.

2006 IRC has the same requirement;

P3005.1.3 Heel- or side-inlet quarter bends, venting.

Heel-inlet or side-inlet quarter bends, or any arrangement of pipe and fittings producing a similar effect, shall be acceptable as a dry vent where the inlet is placed in a vertical position. The inlet is permitted to be placed in a horizontal position only where the entire fitting is part of a dry vent arrangement.

Does the NSPC address low heel inlet similarly to IRC?

P3005.1.2 Heel- or side-inlet quarter bends, drainage.

Heel-inlet quarter bends shall be an acceptable means of connection, except where the quarter bends serves a water closet. A low-heel inlet shall not be used as a wet-vented connection. Side-inlet quarter bends shall be an acceptable means of connection for both drainage, wet venting and stack venting arrangements.

I know I'm a little off of the OPs question, but a heel inlet can't be used with a water closet, period. Doesn't matter if it's high or low, drainage or vent (although a vent would be wrong on so many levels).

Tim

P3005.1.2 Heel- or side-inlet quarter bends, drainage.

Heel-inlet quarter bends shall be an acceptable means of connection, except where the quarter bends serves a water closet. A low-heel inlet shall not be used as a wet-vented connection. Side-inlet quarter bends shall be an acceptable means of connection for both drainage, wet venting and stack venting arrangements.

low heal on toilet.

RJJ said:
This method goes back to the old National standard or in PA AKA as the Phila plumbing code.
the low heal arrangment can be use in new jersey if the fitting is in a wet vent setup, if solids get trapped in the horizontal portion of the heal [or vent]the next time you use the lav it will get washed out.

2012 IPC......706.4 Heel- or side-inlet quarter bends.

Heel-inlet quarter bends shall be an acceptable means of connection, except where the quarter bend serves a water closet. A low-heel inlet shall not be used as a wet-vented connection. Side-inlet quarter bends shall be an acceptable means of connection for drainage, wet venting and stack venting arrangements.

Again not in my 2003....but it has since been addressed...