• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Height of hi-lo drinking fountains

I do not believe that I can provide a credible source for the height of drinking fountains - particularly for those who can not bend over. The Nebraska Accessibility Guide has a spout height of 36 inches for wheel chair access and I know that the high-lo drinking fountain combinations have a height difference of only 6 inches. Therefore, I would reason that 42 inches would be an acceptable height for the higher of the two drinking fountains. If you can give me a better reference, then I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

---------------------------------

AIA, NCARB, ICC, NCOA, CSI

ICC Plans Examiner

Re: Height of hi-lo drinking fountains

The fountain for those who can not bend low shall have a height between 38 inches and 43 inches.

I am trying to find my source for this.

Right!

In the ADA-ABA the text is as noted in the link:

602.7 Drinking Fountains for Standing Persons. Spout outlets of drinking fountains for standing persons shall be 38 inches (965 mm) minimum and 43 inches (1090 mm) maximum above the finish floor or ground.

That same text is in the A117.1-2003 Section 602.4.

The ADA & ANSI agree on something? How'd that happen? ;)

John Drobysh said:
The ADA & ANSI agree on something? How'd that happen? ;)
They don't.

Current Federal Regulation : "Spouts shall be no higher than than 36" measured from the floor or ground surfaces to the spout outlet." [Appendix A to Part 1191 - Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Accessibility Guidelines for Buildings and Facilities].

The 36" maximum height is also graphically presented in Figure 27.

The proposed guidelines were written to accommodate "the ick" that's both why they agree with it, and why they are not adopted.

Gene...I cannot understand why you intentionally encourage people to violate current Civil Rights Law.

Interesting, I didn't know the new ADA/ABA had a dimension for the Hi fountain. I have always installed the high fountain per manufacturer's recommendations. Usually shown on specs of fountain.

rktect 1 said:
Closest thing we got. From what I read off the link you have provided, it says a hi fountain is required but lists no height for the spout. The proposed height is what I tell people when they ask. Which is really a rare event.[/quote:sp0xqhn2]

Read it again.

http://www.ada.gov/reg3a.html#Anchor-15656

On the other hand, if you download and print the PDF then you won't have to search for it on the web and run the risk of looking at something that does not comply with current law.

MarkRandall said:
Interesting, I didn't know the new ADA/ABA had a dimension for the Hi fountain. I have always installed the high fountain per manufacturer's recommendations. Usually shown on specs of fountain.
Because 36" has only been the law since 1991, I can see why you might not have got 'round to printing a copy.

brudgers said:
rktect 1 said:
brudgers said:
That's the proposal.

Current Law is here:

http://www.ada.gov/stdspdf.htm
Closest thing we got. From what I read off the link you have provided, it says a hi fountain is required but lists no height for the spout. The proposed height is what I tell people when they ask. Which is really a rare event.
Read it again.

http://www.ada.gov/reg3a.html#Anchor-15656

On the other hand, if you download and print the PDF then you won't have to search for it on the web and run the risk of looking at something that does not comply with current law.

I feel that this is where you want me to get to.

(10)* Drinking Fountains:

(a) Where only one drinking fountain is provided on a floor there shall be a drinking fountain which is accessible to individuals who use wheelchairs in accordance with 4.15 and one accessible to those who have difficulty bending or stooping. (This can be accommodated by the use of a "hi-lo" fountain; by providing one fountain accessible to those who use wheelchairs and one fountain at a standard height convenient for those who have difficulty bending; by providing a fountain accessible under 4.15 and a water cooler; or by such other means as would achieve the required accessibility for each group on each floor.)

A Dixie cup dispenser and a water jug would work okay.

Thanks everyone for your help.

---------------------------------

AIA, NCARB, ICC, NCOA, CSI

ICC Certified Building Plans Examiner

If you can assure the powers that be of the fact that the dixie cup dispenser will always be filled. :)

Dixie cup dispenser may work for able bodied persons, not disabled persons. How could they be expected to grasp a cup, and or push the button on the water dispenser for that matter.