• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Height of robe hooks in shower rooms

CSmith

Very minor question here: We are putting new shower rooms in an existing facility in Calfornia, and showing robe hooks. What is the maximum height of an accessible robe hook? I don't find anything that specifically addresses this in the code or ADAAG.

40" (the maximum height of operable parts of fixtures in a sanitary facility in CA) seems a little low, unless it's okay to have the robe dragging on the ground. 54" (maximum side reach range) seems more practical, but is the robe hook considered a "sanitary room accessory"?

Thanks,

Re: Height of robe hooks in shower rooms

1117B.8 applies. It's a dressing room.

One of the paragraphs state:

"Clothing hooks shall be located not greater than 48 inches (1219 mm) from the floor."

48 inches is also the maximum forward reach range according to the ADAAG and the mounting height for clothes hooks in dressing rooms in that document. The ADAAG would allow a side reach of 54 inches currently. That will change to 48 inches when the new ADAAG gets adopted.

And, although CA doesn't use the A117.1, that requires 48 inches max as well.

The great and powerful OZ has spoken! ;)

Gene - I knew you would have the answer for that one! :lol:

Great! Thanks for the quick answer.

I had even looked at that section earlier (for bench requirements) and completely missed the clothes hook requirement.

Thanks for your support, John :D

Glad to help. That's what this bulletin board is for! :mrgreen:

Yes, 48" also seems low, and a long bathrobe may drag... but then, the same problem occurs with evening dresses in an acessible coat closet. It's just one of those compromises with no perfect "one-size-fits-all" code solution (there's almost a pun in there somewhere, I just know it).

After C of O, someone will probably install another towel hook, higher than the first.

Even before the C of O another hook could be installed. There can be other hooks at other heights as long as there is one at 48 inches.

Since your in California check your CALDAG code book.

Dan