• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Hello from Florida

Bob Phoenix

Hello all,

My name is Bob Phoenix and I'm a Building Official in the Town of Melbourne Beach, FL...

The Town is one square mile and has a population of 3380 people. There are 1240 residential structures and 87 businesses.

Our average annual value of construction has stayed steady at around $4 million (which determines our permit revenue.)

With the release of the 2009 IBC, the State of Florida has adopted them as the model code for its base code and within the next two months the 2010 Florida Code will be adopted.

I've been lurking on the forum for the past few months and I'm hoping to pull as well as contribute as much as I can from you all...

Thanks

Bob P.

Welcome Bob! Would love to get some dialogue going concerning Florida specific requirements. We hear a lot about other state's requirements, Florida would be a good choice, especially due to the wind zone

Hello Bob and welcome. I'm originally from West Palm Beach so I've spent many a day in Melbourne and it's a wonderful town. I miss the fishing and Manatees scaring the &%^$ out of me while Snook fishing :)

mark handler said:
Welcome Bob. Please don't take comments personal

It's conversation
Welcome Bob, Mark he knows the lingo (lurking) well enough so I'm willing to bet he knows the personalities. Besides you have to be "THE MAN" to get a job like the one Bob has.

Thanks all, being on this forum should be fun...

The Florida Building Officials used to have a great forum, but the time is took to keep it up was becoming a burden on too few and it was abandoned...

Oh yeah, and BTW: Kudo's to those who maintain this forum... Great Job!

While we're getting started... we probably should clear a few things up...

First...

Francis... Thanks... as far as a dream job... The grass propbably seems greener... but, welcome to my nightmare!

I'll be telling a few war stories to anyone who'll listen...

Fatboy... I learned this business from a career state administrator (A Connecticut Swamp Yankee) who's motto was... "Hey, let's throw him in and see if he can swim..."

I didn't realize then it was the shark tank at Sea World... So, a pond I can do...

imhotep... from the left coast to the right one... Well, that just stay with the "other one"... I've been on this coast since '57 and I'm still trying to figure out why the pilgrims decided to stay... After that first winter, I would have moved out west too...

And, Mark... Not to worry about taking comments personally... After all, I've been a code official for more than 25 years... I've learned to duck when the bricks start flying... and anything less is stories for the grandkids... (with some selective laundering for good meassure, of course ;-) ...)

Oh, yeah... and Bill... when I was in the Village of North Palm Beach, I had my head handed to me, by a commissioner, when I insisted that the Fire Marshal's office be included in all commercial plan review... (Apperently, I was going against the past practice policy and impeeding the ability of commercial contractors to fast track projects...) Gotta love the South...

Thanks GB... Uh, that stands for Getting Better, right?!?

Since joining the forum I have been "battered" and fried, "battered" and bruised, and bettered. This is a wonderful place to learn, and there is nothing like a bit of tough love to make hard heads like mine learn new tricks.

Welcome Bob!

I too have the duty of overseeing a small jurisdiction. There is a 2,827 population residing in a 2.4 square mile area in very rural northern CA.

Construction tanked two years ago, so, I am really happy about the new USDA/USFA project but not very happy with who is actually building it. Mixed blessings.

Discussions can get lively so, don't be offended.

Bob Phoenix,

A hearty welcome to the Building Codes Forum!

I thought that "gbhammer" was short for "great big hammer". :)

This forum is THE place to be, ..to contribute, ..to learn and most

of all, ..to become an active Sawhorse ( member).