• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Help. Auto Glass Ventilation?

jpranch

Platinum Member
2006 IMC. I have an auto glass installation business. It has 2 bays that can hold 3 cars at a time. Ventilation requirements??? I'm not well versed in the mechanical codes. Any help would be appriciated.

Re: Help. Auto Glass Ventilation?

Designers option -

Natural

Mechancial

Combination -

I am willing to bet that they will qualify for natural ventilation in accordance with IBC section 1203.4.

I doubt that they are actually pulling cars in and letting them run in the garage while replacing or repairing the glass.

502.14 Motor vehicle operation.In areas where motor vehicles operate, mechanical ventilation shall be provided in accordance with Section 403. Additionally, areas in which stationary motor vehicles are operated shall be provided with a source capture system that connects directly to the motor vehicle exhaust systems.

Exceptions:

1. This section shall not apply where the motor vehicles being operated or repaired are electrically powered.

2. This section shall not apply to one- and two-family dwellings.

3. This section shall not apply to motor vehicle service areas where engines are operated inside the building only for the duration necessary to move the motor vehicles in and out of the building.
JP Exception 3 is probably what you are looking for, However in our climates it is not unusual for a vehicle to warm up 5-15 minutes before driving them outside so you might ask for detector to monitor emmissions for high level to alert the workers to open a door when it is 15 degrees and a 30 mph wind blowing outside which is normal in WY ;)

2006 IMC. I have an auto glass installation business.
Congratulations on your new venture, jp!

:D

All the similar spaces I've seen have been done with the "repair garage" value of 1.5 cfm/sf per Table 403.3.

agree with MT. The important thing is that these vehicles are not in the bays long. Wind shield replacement apprx 30 min. They are not often left running and engine work associated with this type of operations doesn't happen. Direct connect for exhaust is a little over kill. Fresh air exchange for the shop is important.