• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Help Determining Occupancy Type

DenNative77

Needing help determining an occupancy type in Colorado.

I have a 1560 sf. ft. tenant space that will be used as a DIY crafting space - mobile tables and stools will be used in 1200 sq. ft of the space, about 75 sq. ft of space are restrooms, with the remaining space to be used as storage. Client assures me there will never be more than 49 in the space.

I'm not sure if this should classify as Assembly (A-3) or Business (B) with Storage (S-1) in either one?

This is my first time having to deal with Occupancy loads, so please bear with me! :) Thank you in advance for your help!

I would say "B"

304.1 Business Group B

Business Group B occupancy includes, among others, the use of a building or structure, or a portion thereof, for office, professional or service-type transactions, including storage of records and accounts. Business occupancies shall include, but not be limited to, the following:

Training and skill development not in a school or academic program (this shall include, but not be limited to, tutoring centers, martial arts studios, gymnastics and similar uses regardless of the ages served, and where not classified as a Group A occupancy).

Educational occupancies for students above the 12th grade

Is there a rear door anyway, that does not need access through the storage?

Thank you, CDA! The snow is great this year! :)

That's what I was reading and figuring as well to get the B type. There are 3 means of egress in the space - 2 through the DIY space, and 1 through the storage. There is an existing restroom, and we are adding an ADA compliant restroom. I come up with an occupancy load of 10 with a Type B figuring 150 gross occupant load factor. It just seems very low?

Client MAY want to add the serving of alcoholic beverages later - am I correct in telling her that would bump her into an Assembly occupancy. I assume things become much trickier at that point. Although I believe they would still be ok due to the number of exit doors and by adding the ADA restroom??

I do not do restrooms.

Sounds like design for the max

If at least two code compliant exits, with required distance apart.

Not sure how much more an ada bathroom costs.

Do you hold classes or do you only provide space, materials, and advice and your customers come and go as they need?

You have to remember that occupant load factors and occupancy groups do not necessarily align. If a space is used for assembly purposes, you would use an assembly load factor (for educational assembly spaces, you would use the "Shops and other vocational room areas" load factor; thus the reason for my first question). If the total occupant load does not exceed 49, then you can classify the space as Group B. However, if the occupant load of the assembly space exceeds 49, then you must classify it as a Group A.

If teaching classes, then the occupant load factor used would be 50sf per occupant just for the 1200sf space (net floor area) and does not include the restrooms. If just providing a space for customers as they come and go, then you could use the "Business areas" load factor of 150sf per occupant. If using the latter (150 sf per occupant) then you must consider the gross floor area which includes the restrooms. In either situation, the storage area occupant load would be based at 300sf per occupant.

With either occupancy load factor used, the occupant load will not exceed 49, so classifying it as a Group B would be appropriate.

Thank you, RLGA!

I believe it is a more relaxed setting where people can come and go after receiving some direction on their particular craft. Not a true "classroom" in the sense of the word.

They will have some shelves in one section of the space with small retail items - do I need to calculate Mercantile into this too?

One more question - in the construction/permit set of drawings is it appropriate to include a sheet showing the calculations? Is there a drawing "standard" for this?

Thank you, RLGA!

I believe it is a more relaxed setting where people can come and go after receiving some direction on their particular craft. Not a true "classroom" in the sense of the word.

They will have some shelves in one section of the space with small retail items - do I need to calculate Mercantile into this too?

One more question - in the construction/permit set of drawings is it appropriate to include a sheet showing the calculations? Is there a drawing "standard" for this?
Since the "Business areas" occupant load factor provides a really low occupant load, and the space will not be used as an educational space, then maybe you can use the mercantile occupant load factor of 60sf per occupant. This will provide a more reasonable (and probably a more realistic) occupant load of 21.

I would put the code data information on the drawings. What code edition are you under? I have MS Word templates for the 2012, 2015, and 2018 editions that can be used for providing the code information on the drawings. Send an email to ron@specsandcodes.com and I'll send you the appropriate template.

Thank you, RLGA!

YES:

""""One more question - in the construction/permit set of drawings is it appropriate to include a sheet showing the calculations?"""

Sometimes there are some strange numbers that come up, and it is nice to see how they arrived at them.

Plus if correct, it helps in the future if someone pulls the plans and has a question.

What is the use of the rest of the building and is this a change of use/ occupancy?....I would agree with B for this space as presented...

""""One more question - in the construction/permit set of drawings is it appropriate to include a sheet showing the calculations?
Maybe not common, but why not? There are a lot of calcs included on the electrical page, and sometimes the hvac page.

Maybe not common, but why not? There are a lot of calcs included on the electrical page, and sometimes the hvac page.

Lazy plan makers??

Or they do not know what should go there.

Just like very seldom see exit analysis