• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Help parsing Sec 1030.1 Exception 4. 2018 IBC

KZQuixote

Sawhorse
Hello Folks,
Would you please help settle a difference of opinion about exceptions to the requirement for EEROs.
Exception 4 says: Within individual dwelling and sleeping units in Groups R-2 and R-3, where the building is equipped throughout with an automatic sprinkler system installed in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1, 903.3.2 or 903.3.1.3, sleeping rooms in basements shall not be required to have emergency escape and rescue openings provided that the basement has one of the following:
4.1. One means of egress and one emergency escape and rescue opening.
4.2. Two means of egress.

I read this to mean that there are circumstances wherein a basement sleeping room might not be required to have an EERO. However, all other sleeping rooms, on other floors, are required to comply with 1030.1 irrespective of the presence or lack of an approved sprinkler system.
Your comments will be appreciated.
Bill

Two Means of egress...... And Fire Sprinkler System and in basements only and for each sleeping unit/dwelling.

Seems strange, that it would not be the same for above grade stories where the smoke entrapment and chimney effects of a fire are a lesser concern.
I guess it is ok to BBQ in the basement but not on upper floors?

(Sorry retired firefighter with a morbid sense of humor- but it does get the point across eh?)

Hello Folks,
Would you please help settle a difference of opinion about exceptions to the requirement for EEROs.
Exception 4 says: Within individual dwelling and sleeping units in Groups R-2 and R-3, where the building is equipped throughout with an automatic sprinkler system installed in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1, 903.3.2 or 903.3.1.3, sleeping rooms in basements shall not be required to have emergency escape and rescue openings provided that the basement has one of the following:
4.1. One means of egress and one emergency escape and rescue opening.
4.2. Two means of egress.

I read this to mean that there are circumstances wherein a basement sleeping room might not be required to have an EERO. However, all other sleeping rooms, on other floors, are required to comply with 1030.1 irrespective of the presence or lack of an approved sprinkler system.
Your comments will be appreciated.
Bill

I think it applies no matter what floor

There have been similar questions about the one exit.

Thanks for those responses.

If I might paraphrase, you cda. You believe that EEROs are not required, no matter the floor, if a sprinkler system is present. Is that correct?

I'm not there yet.

Let's look at the exceptions.
Exception 1. Ceiling less than 80" high. "...shall not be required to have EEROs."
Exception 2. Exit door present. "EEROs are not required..."
Exception 3. Basements without habitable space, less that 200 Sq Ft floor area. "... shall not be required to have EEROs."
Exception 4. "... sleeping rooms in basements shall not be required to have EEROs provided that..."

From that I see that the "shalls" and "shall nots" are specifically called out for each exception. There is no shall or shall not in Exception 4 until you get the "sleeping rooms in basements" portion.

I don't see that the 2018 IBC Section 1030.1 provides a blanket exception to required EEROs if there is an approved sprinkler system.

Bill

The difference between the basement requirements and those for stories above the grade plane is that a basement typically has limited size openings or no openings at all, which hamper egress and fire fighting access. Thus, the exceptions are provided for a basement that has conditions that are better than what is typically found in a basement.

Exception 4 to Section 1030.1 for basements is similar to the provisions allowed for Group R-2 when two means of egress are provided on each story above the grade plane (Item #2 in Section 1030.1) regardless of the sprinklered condition.

In a Group R-3 occupancy, EEROs are required for stories above the grade plane regardless of the sprinklered condition or the number of means of egress provided.

Thank you RLGA!
Following from Section 1030.1, would you agree that: In a R-2 occupancy EEROs are not required unless there is only one exit from that story?

That being the case Exception #4 seems to add a requirement for an automatic sprinkler system for basement level sleeping rooms in R-2 occupancies.

It could be that Exception 4 contains a typo and should address units in R-3 and R-4 instead of R-2 and R-3.

TIA
Bill

Following from Section 1030.1, would you agree that: In a R-2 occupancy EEROs are not required unless there is only one exit from that story?
Yes, that is what Item #2 in Section 1030.1 is essentially stating.

That being the case Exception #4 seems to add a requirement for an automatic sprinkler system for basement level sleeping rooms in R-2 occupancies.
Exception #4 does not require anything--it is merely stating that if a sprinkler system exists, these are your options; however, there is one thing to keep in mind: in the IBC a sprinkler system is required throughout a building containing a Group R fire area, anyway.
It could be that Exception 4 contains a typo and should address units in R-3 and R-4 instead of R-2 and R-3.
I don't think it is a typo (that is exactly the way it was proposed). Group R-4 includes facilities where the occupant load is higher than Group R-3 and some occupants may need assistance.

Seems that Exception #4 steps back into the requirement for R-2 unnecessarily.
OH Well?!
Thank You for your response.
Bill