• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Help passing the F3 2009 Fire Plans Examiner

batgirlmich

Hi, I have just taken the F3 2009 for the third time and failed yet again, with scores of 68, 72, and 73. I have used the ICC Campus Online to help prepare and passed that very easily, but still did not pass the exam. I am at a loss of what else I can do to help me pass this exam. Does anyone have an tips or suggestions? Thank you for any help you can give me.

Welcome to the forum!....I passed it about a year ago, tabbed up the book and highlighting helps a bit for speed....Are you finishing or running out of time? Is it your first cert or do you have others? I believe that all of my IBC familiarity helped alot. Because I don't use the IFC daily....

Welcome

Tab the book, index and table of contents

Kind of know what chapter an item is in

Welcome to the forum.

cda has it right, figuring out the layout of the book will save you a lot of time and aggravation. Index and TOC are your friends, use them. If you still have time left on the campus, keep hitting it, makes you go the book and find answers, which gets you more better acquanted with the book.

Good luck, you are so close, 4th time is a charm! Let us know!

Thanks, I have tabbed the book, been going through all of them for almost a year now. I have passed the B1 and B2 already. I guess I was wondering if there was something else people had done, another place for practice questions, etc. I really appreciate the answers.

batgirlmich said:
To get my Local Inspector License, I have to pass B1, B2, and F3, no choice in which ones I get to take. Thank you for the link
OHHHH

so what is your field of expertize building or fire, or a little of both, or close to just getting started??

so what is passing 75 or 80

Last edited by a moderator:
batgirlmich said:
To get my Local Inspector License, I have to pass B1, B2, and F3, no choice in which ones I get to take. Thank you for the link
Public or private??

Guess the good thing for the next test is that you kind of know the flow and what to expect

Is it weighted to IFC / ibc more than the other books or nfpa weighted ?

maybe go through the test and concentrate on the IB IFC questions

You can miss 14 and still pass

Should do it the next time!!!!!!

batgirlmich said:
I find most of the answers in the IFC and IBC. I have been working here since May 2013.
When an individual takes the same test repeatedly with out a marked difference in there score what is happening is you are consistent in the answers that are both correct and in correct.

This usually leads to answers that the test taker feels correct in answering but are actually the weak points.

Over the years I have asked my people to try and remember as many questions as they can and write them down when they come out of the test that they failed. Then we try and find the answers together when they are back in the office. It has been my experience the incorrect answer was due to the fact the test taker failed to check the footnote in a table or continue reading the section and there was an exception or a sentence at the end that would say that XXXX wasn't applicable to YYYYY occupancy. JMHO

Hi everyone, I thought I would update those of you nice enough to reply. I did the challenge to find out which questions I had gotten wrong. I did challenge a few, and ICC accepted my challenge, so I have now passed the exam. Thank you for all of your advice.

batgirlmich said:
Hi everyone, I thought I would update those of you nice enough to reply. I did the challenge to find out which questions I had gotten wrong. I did challenge a few, and ICC accepted my challenge, so I have now passed the exam. Thank you for all of your advice.
Well fantastic

Now you can afford to be sawhorse status!!!!!